Mapping the Medieval Townscape: a digital atlas of the new towns of Edward I

Keith Lilley, Chris Lloyd, Steve Trick, 2005

Data copyright © Dr Keith Lilley, Chris Lloyd, Steve Trick unless otherwise stated


Arts and Humanities Research Council (AHRC) logo

Primary contact

Dr Keith Lilley
School of Geography
Queen's University Belfast
University Road
Belfast
BT7 1NN
Northern Ireland
Tel: 0208 902 73363
Fax: 0208 903 21280

Send e-mail enquiry

Resource identifiers

Digital Object Identifiers

Digital Object Identifiers (DOIs) are persistent identifiers which can be used to consistently and accurately reference digital objects and/or content. The DOIs provide a way for the ADS resources to be cited in a similar fashion to traditional scholarly materials. More information on DOIs at the ADS can be found on our help page.

Citing this DOI

DOIs should be the last element in a citation irrespective of the format used. The DOI citation should begin with "doi:" in lowercase followed by the DOI with no spaces between the ":" and the DOI.

doi:10.5284/1000022

DOIs can also be cited as a persistent link from another Web page. This is done by appending the DOI Resolver with the DOI. This would look like:

http://dx.doi.org/10.5284/1000022

However, if it is possible it is best to hide the URL in the href property of the <a> tag and have the link text be of the form doi:10.5284/1000022. The HTML for this would look like:

<a href="http://dx.doi.org/10.5284/1000022">doi:10.5284/1000022</a>
Sample Citation for this DOI

Keith Lilley, Chris Lloyd, Steve Trick (2005) Mapping the Medieval Townscape: a digital atlas of the new towns of Edward I [data-set]. York: Archaeology Data Service [distributor] (doi:10.5284/1000022)

Queen's University Belfast logo
National Library of Wales logo

Sources

  • This information can also be downloaded as a PDF document.

Historic maps (manuscript/archival maps and plans, pre-c.1850)

The following maps provided additional topographic information on the towns in the atlas. For access to these sources the authors thank the staff of Bangor University Manuscript Library, Caernarfon Record Office, Ceredigion Record Office, Conwy Archives, Denbighshire Record Office, East Sussex Record Office, Flintshire Record Office, and the National Library of Wales (Map Library).

  • Aberystwyth

    • 1740: Lewis Morris (Ceredigion Record Office)
    • 1797: Gogerddan Collection (Ceredigion Record Office)
    • 1809: William Couling (Ceredigion Record Office)
    • 1834: John Wood (reprinted in Town and City Maps of the British Isles 1800-1855)
    • 1846: Tithe Award map (National Library of Wales)
  • Beaumaris

    • 1610: John Speed (reprinted in The Counties of Britain: a Tudor atlas by John Speed)
    • 1829: Richard Yates (Bangor University Manuscript Library)
  • Caernarfon

    • 1610: John Speed (reprinted in The Counties of Britain: a Tudor atlas by John Speed)
    • 1834: John Wood (reprinted in Town and City Maps of the British Isles 1800-1855)
  • Caerwys

    • 1742: Maes Mynon demesne (Flintshire Record Office)
    • 1849: Tithe Award map (National Library of Wales)
  • Conwy

    • 1776: Holland estate map (Caernarfon Record Office)
    • 1843: Tithe Award map (National Library of Wales)
  • Cricieth

    • 1839: Tithe Award map (National Library of Wales)
  • Flint

    • 1610: John Speed (reprinted in The Counties of Britain: a Tudor atlas by John Speed)
    • 1740: Mostyn estate map of several tenements in Flint town (Flintshire Record Office)
    • 1840: Tithe Award map (National Library of Wales)
    • 1854: land for sale by Mr Liefchild (Flintshire Record Office)
  • Harlech

    • 1610: John Speed (reprinted in The Counties of Britain: a Tudor atlas by John Speed)
    • 1840: Tithe Award map (National Library of Wales)
  • Holt

    • 1790: map of lands in the townships of Holt and Issycoed belonging to Trevallyn estate (Flintshire Record Office)
    • 1843: Tithe Award map (Denbighshire Record Office)
  • Newborough

    • 1836: Tithe Award map (National Library of Wales)
  • Overton

    • 1837: Tithe Award map (National Library of Wales)
  • Rhuddlan

    • 1756: Elinor Conway estate (Flintshire Record Office/National Library of Wales)
    • 1810: Bodrhyddan estate in Rhuddlan and Dyserth (Flintshire Record Office)
    • 1839: Tithe Award map (National Library of Wales)
  • Winchelsea

    • 1758: Stephen’s map of Winchelsea (East Sussex Record Office)
    • 1767: Arnold Nesbitt estate by John Mackoun (East Sussex Record Office)

[top]

Archaeology sources (unpublished/archival reports)

These unpublished excavation and evaluation reports were drawn upon in the preparation of maps in the atlas. For access to these sources the authors thank the staff of Gwynedd Archaeological Trust, Clwyd-Powys Archaeological Trust, Archaeology South East, the Royal Commission on Historic Monuments (Wales), and the National Monuments Record (English Heritage). (For published archaeological material see bibliography).

  • Beaumaris

    • Anon., Archaeological Assessment of the Site of Former Outdoor Activities Centre, Beaumaris (G1044) (Gwynedd Archaeological Trust report 28, c.1985).
    • D. Hopewell, Church Room, Beaumaris, archaeological watching brief G1786 (Gwynedd Archaeological Trust report 507, 2003).
    • G. Smith, The Old County Gaol, Bunker’s Hill, Beaumaris, Anglesey: archaeological watching brief during excavation of trench for new foul water drain (G1831) (Gwynedd Archaeological Trust report 529, 2004).
    • G.H. Smith, Regent House, 17 Church Street, Beaumaris, archaeological assessment and evaluation excavation (G1807) (Gwynedd Archaeological Trust report 508, 2003).
    • M.A. Ward, Old Coalyard, Steeple Lane. Beaumaris, archaeological evaluation (GAT 1140) (Gwynedd Archaeological Trust report 85, 1994).
    • R.B. White, undated, untitled typescript report on 15th-century town ditch in Steeple Lane (GAT town files).
  • Caernarfon

    • Anon., Caernarfon Bank Quay watching brief September 1994 (G1239) March 1996 (G1398) (Gwynedd Archaeological Trust report 205, nd.).
    • Anon., Eastgate Street, Caernarfon, archaeological watching brief (Gwynedd Archaeological Trust report 361, 2000).
    • Anon., 11-13 High Street, Caernarfon, archaeological evaluation (Gwynedd Archaeological Trust report 118, c.1994).
    • Anon., Excavations at 29 High Street, Caernarfon, interim report 77 (G1122) (Gwynedd Archaeological Trust report, c.1993).
    • A. Davidson, Boundary wall at 9 Market Street, Caernarfon, archaeological assessment (G1685) (Gwynedd Archaeological Trust report 409, 2001).
    • A. Davidson and D.Rh. Gwyn, Eastgate Street, Caernarfon, archaeological assessment (G1368) (Gwynedd Archaeological Trust report 202, 1996).
  • Conwy

    • Anon., Conwy West Sewage Disposal and Quay Pipelines – 1994 Development, archaeological monitoring and recording (phase II) (G1182) ((Gwynedd Archaeological Trust report 111, c.1994).
    • Gifford Consulting Engineers, Former TA Centre Premises, Berry Street, Conwy, report on archaeological works (Report B4658B-RO3, 2002, copy with GAT)
    • R.S. Kelly, Conwy’s Past in Future. A survey of archaeological deposits in Conwy, Gwynedd (Gwynedd Archaeological Trust, Bangor, 1977).
  • Flint

    • Clwyd-Powys Archaeological Trust, ‘Delyn Historic Settlement Survey’, unpublished report (June 1995).
  • Holt

    • D. Thomas, Green Street, Holt, Clwyd: archaeological evaluation, Clwyd-Powys Archaeological Trust report 115 (1994).
    • R.J. Silvester, M. Walters and D. Wayne, Wrexham Maelor Historic Settlements, Clwyd-Powys Archaeological Trust report 42 (1992).
  • Newborough

    • Anon. ‘Hendre Bach, Newborough: archaeological assessment’ (Gwynedd Archaeological Trust report 461, 2002).
    • Anon. ‘Newborough and Rhosyr’, unpublished paper (Gwynedd Archaeological Trust, no date).
    • D. Hopewell, ‘Archaeological assessment at Hendre Bach, Newborough. Field evaluation Part 1: geophysical survey’ (G1761) (Gwynedd Archaeological Trust report 466, 2002).
    • N. Johnstone, ‘Church Street, Newborough: archaeological evaluation’ (G1382) (Gwynedd Archaeological Trust report 191, 1996).
    • R. White, unpublished letter dated October 3 1979 held by Gwynedd Archaeological Trust (in Project File G1382).
  • Overton

    • R.J. Silvester, M. Walters and D. Wayne, Wrexham Maelor Historic Settlements, Clwyd-Powys Archaeological Trust report 42 (1992).
  • Rhuddlan

    • D. Thomas, Gwindy Street, Rhuddlan, Clwyd. Archaeological Evaluation. Clwyd-Powys Archaeological Trust Report 77 (1993).
  • Winchelsea

    • Earthwork survey of Winchelsea (manuscript copy in National Monuments Record).
    • D. Martin and B. Martin, Quarter-by-Quarter Analysis of Winchelsea, East Sussex (Archaeology South-East, unpublished report, University College London, 2002).
    • D. Martin and B. Martin, An Extensive Urban Survey Assessment of Winchelsea, east Sussex (Archaeology South-East, unpublished report, University College London, 2002).

[top]

Bibliographic resource

  • Abbreviations:

    • CChR: Calendar of Charter Rolls (HMSO, London, 1903-1927, 6 volumes).
    • CFR: Calendar of Fine Rolls (HMSO, London, 1911-62, 22 volumes).
    • CPR: Calendar of Patent Rolls (HMSO, London, 1893-1901, 4 volumes).
    • CClR: Calendar of Close Rolls (HMSO, London, 1914-1926, 6 volumes).
    • CWR: Calendar of Welsh Rolls, in Calendar of Various Chancery Rolls, pp.157-362 (HMSO, London, HMSO, London, 1912).
    • PRO: Public Record Office (Kew, London).
    • RCAHMW: Royal Commission of Ancient and Historical Monuments of Wales (and Mounmouthshire).
  • Primary published sources:

    • Brut y Tywysogyon, or The Chronicle of the Princes, Red Book of Hergest Version, ed. T. Jones (Board of Celtic Studies History and Law Series, no.16: University of Wales Press, Cardiff, 1955).
    • Calendar of Ancient Petitions Relating to Wales, ed. W. Rees (University of Wales Press, Cardiff, 1975).
    • ‘Extent of burgages, lands, etc, assigned for the castle of Beaumaris’, Supplement to Archaeologia Cambrensis 1 (1877), pp.xiv-xix.
    • Flintshire Ministers’ Accounts, 1301-1328, ed. A. Jones (Flintshire Historical Society, Prestatyn, 1913).
    • Flintshire Ministers’ Accounts, 1328-1353, ed. D.L. Evans (Flintshire Historical Society record series 2, 1929)
    • List of Welsh Entries in the Memoranda Rolls 1282-1343, ed. N. Fryde (University of Wales Press, Cardiff, 1974).
    • Littere Wallie, preserved in Liber A in the Public Record Office, ed. J. Goronwy Edwards (University Press, Cardiff, 1940).
    • Merioneth Lay Subsidy Roll of 1292/3, ed. K. Williams-Jones (University of Wales Press, Cardiff, 1976).
    • Ministers’ Accounts for West Wales, 1277-1306. Part I: text and translation, ed. M. Rhys (Cymmrodorion Record Series, no 13: London, 1936).
    • Survey of the County of York, ed. R.H. Skaife (Surtees Society, Durham, 1867).
  • Secondary published sources:

    • M. Bateson, 'The laws of Breteuil', English Historical Review 15 (1900), pp.73-8, 302-18, 496-523, 754-7; 16 (1901), pp.92-110, 332-45.
    • M.W. Beresford, New Towns of the Middle Ages (Lutterworth, London, 1967).
    • M.W. Beresford and J.K.S. St Joseph, Medieval England: an aerial survey (Cambridge University Press, Cambridge, 1958).
    • J. Bilson, ‘Wyke-upon-Hull in 1293’, Transactions of the East Riding Antiquarian Society 26 (1929), pp.37-105.
    • P.H.W. Booth, ‘The corporation of Holt, the manor of Farndon, and the bridge over the Dee, Denbighshire’, Archaeologia Cambrensis 146 (2000 for 1997), pp.109-16.
    • L.A.S. Butler, ‘Excavations at Conway 1961-4’, Transactions of the Caernarvonshire Historical Society 26 (1965), pp.20-30.
    • L.A.S. Butler, ‘Holt Castle: John de Warenne and Chastellion’, in J.R. Kenyon and R. Avent (eds.), Castles in Wales and the Marches: essays in honour of D.J. Cathcart King (University Press, Cardiff, 1987), pp.105-24.
    • L.A.S. Butler and G.C. Dunning, ‘Medieval finds from Castell-y-Bere, Merioneth’, Archaeologia Cambrensis 123 (1975 for 1974), pp.78-112.
    • A.D. Carr, Medieval Anglesey (Anglesey Antiquarian Society, Llangefni, 1982).
    • A.D. Carr, ‘The extent of Anglesey’, Transactions of the Anglesey Antiquarian Society and Field Club (1971-72), pp.150-272.
    • C.E. Chambers, ‘The French bastides and the town plan of Winchelsea’, Archaeological Journal 94 (1938), pp.177-206.
    • O.E. Craster, ‘The supposed outer ditch of Flint castle’, Journal of the Flintshire Historical Society 22 (1965-6), pp.71-74.
    • P. Crummy, ‘The system of measurement used in town planning from the ninth to the thirteenth centuries’, in S.C. Hawkes, D. Brown and J. Campbell (eds.), Anglo-Saxon Studies in Archaeology and History (British Archaeological Reports, British Series 72, Oxford, 1979), pp.149-63.
    • J.G. Edwards, ‘The building of Flint’, Journal of the Flintshire Historical Society 12 (1951), pp.5-20.
    • E.D. Evans, ‘Was there a borough of Bere?’, Journal of the Merioneth Historical and Record Society 10 (1989), pp.290-98.
    • P.J. Fasham, ‘Investigations in 1985 by R.B. White at Castle Meadows, Beaumaris’, Transactions of the Anglesey Antiquarian Society and Field Club (1992), pp.123-130.
    • R. Fenton, Tour of Wales, 1804-13, edited from his MS. journals in the Cardiff Free Library by John Fisher (Cambrian Archæological Association/Bedford Press, London, 1917).
    • D. Friedman, Florentine New Towns. Urban design in the late middle ages (MIT Press, London, 1988).
    • P. Grierson, English Linear Measures (The Stenton Lecture, University of Reading, 1972).
    • J. Griffiths, ‘Documents relating to the early history of Conway’, Transactions of the Caernarfonshire Historical Society 8 (1947), pp.5-19.
    • R.A. Griffiths, ‘Aberystwyth’, in R.A. Griffiths (ed.), Boroughs of Mediaeval Wales (University of Cardiff Press, Cardiff, 1978), pp.18-45.
    • R.T. Gunther, Early Science in Oxford, vol. 1, Chemistry, Mathematics, Physics and Surveying (Oxford, Clarendon Press, 1923).
    • D.B. Hague, ‘The Aberystwyth town walls’, Ceredigion 2 (1955), p.276.
    • W.J. Hemp, ‘Conway castle’, Archaeologia Cambrensis 46 (1941), pp.163-174.
    • W.M. Homan, ‘The founding of New Winchelsea’, Sussex Archaeological Collections 88 (1949), pp.22-41.
    • D. Hopewell, ‘Beaumaris Health Centre Excavations’, Transactions of the Anglesey Antiquarian Society and Field Club (1997), pp.9-36.
    • T.H. Hughes and E.A.G. Lamborn, Town Planning: Ancient and Modern, Oxford University Press, Oxford, 1923).
    • R.I. Jack, ‘Ruthin’, in R.A. Griffiths (ed.), Boroughs of Mediaeval Wales (University of Cardiff, Cardiff, 1978), pp.244-61.
    • R. James, ‘St Thomas’ School site. Examining a medieval burgage plot in Winchelsea’, Sussex Past and Present, December 2004, pp.9-10.
    • N. Johnstone, ‘Cae Llys, Rhosyr: a court of the Princes of Gwynedd’, Studia Celtica 33 (1999), pp.251-95.
    • A. Jones, ‘A fifteenth century document of Rhuddlan’, Journal of the Flintshire Historical Society 5 (1915), pp.45-90.
    • T. Jones Pierce and J. Griffiths, ‘Documents relating to the early history of the borough of Caernarvon’, Bulletin of the Board of Celtic Studies 9 (1937-9), pp.236-246.
    • W.G. Jones, ‘The court rolls of the borough of Criccieth’, Bulletin of the Board of Celtic Studies 2 (1925), pp.149-60.
    • D.J.C. King, ‘The donjon of Flint’, Journal of the Chester and North Wales Architectural, Archaeological and Historical Society 45 (1958), pp.61-69.
    • A. Lauret, R, Malebranche and G. Séraphin, Bastides. Villes nouvelles du moyen-age (Éditions Milan, Toulouse, 1988).
    • E.A. Lewis, The Mediaeval Boroughs of Snowdonia (Henry Sotheran, London, 1912).
    • E.A. Lewis, ‘The account roll of the Chamberlain of the Principality of North Wales from Michaelmas 1304 to Michaelmas 1305’, Bulletin of the Board of Celtic Studies 1 (1923), pp.256-275.
    • K.D. Lilley, ‘Mapping the medieval city: plan analysis and urban history’, Urban History 27 (2000), pp.5-30.
    • K.D. Lilley, Urban Life in the Middle Ages 1000-1450 (Palgrave, London, 2002).
    • K.D. Lilley, ‘Mapping cosmopolis: moral topographies of the medieval city’, Environment & Planning d: Society and Space 22 (2004), pp.681-698.
    • K.D. Lilley, ‘Cities of God? Medieval urban forms and their Christian symbolism’, Transactions of the Institute of British Geographers 29 (new series) (2004), pp.296-313.
    • K.D. Lilley, C. Lloyd, S. Trick and C. Graham, ‘Analysing and mapping medieval urban forms using GPS and GIS’, Urban Morphology 9 (2005), pp.5-15.
    • D.M.T. Longley, ‘Rescue excavations at 29 High Street, Caernarfon, Gwynedd’, Transactions of the Caernarvonshire Historical Society 61 (2000), pp.41-53.
    • J. Manley, ‘Salvage excavations at Lôn Hylas, Rhuddlan, Clwyd: ditches of the Roman and medieval periods’, Archaeologia Cambrensis 134 (1985), pp.230-235.
    • D. Martin and B. Martin, New Winchelsea, Sussex. A medieval port town (Heritage Marketing, Kings Lynn, 2004).
    • D. Martin and B. Martin, ‘Excavations at German Street, 1974: Quarter 19, plots 10-12’, in D. Martin and D. Rudling (eds.), Excavations in Winchelsea, Sussex 1974-2000 (Heritage Marketing, Kings Lynn, 2004), pp.1-9.
    • D. Martin and D. Rudling (eds.), Excavations in Winchelsea, Sussex 1974-2000 (Heritage Marketing, Kings Lynn, 2004).
    • M.A. Mason, ‘Llywelyn’s Hall, Conwy’, Transactions of the Caernarvonshire Historical Society 56 (1995), pp.11-35.
    • H. Miles, ‘Excavations at Rhuddlan, 1969-71: interim report’, Journal of the Flintshire Historical Society 25 (1971-2), pp.1-8.
    • A.E.J. Morris, History of Urban Form (Longman, Harlow, 1979).
    • D.H. Owen, ‘Denbigh’, in R.A. Griffiths (ed.), Boroughs of Mediaeval Wales (University of Cardiff, Cardiff, 1978), pp.165-87.
    • A.N. Palmer, ‘The town of Holt’, Archaeologia Cambrensis 6 (1907), pp.1-34.
    • D. Pratt, ‘The medieval borough of Holt’, Denbighshire Historical Society Transactions 14 (1965), pp.9-74.
    • D. Pratt, ‘The 1563 charter of Holt’, Transactions of the Denbighshire Historical Society 23 (1974), pp.104-25.
    • M. Prestwich, Edward I (Yale University Press, London, 1988).
    • H. Quinnell, M.R. Blockley and P. Berridge, Excavations at Rhuddlan, Clwyd 1969-73, Mesolithic to Medieval, CBA Research Report 95 (1994).
    • E. Ralph, ‘Bristol, circa 1480’, in Local Maps and Plans from Medieval England, R.A. Skelton and P.D.A. Harvey (eds.) (Oxford University Press, Oxford, 1989), pp.309-316
    • A. Randolph, ‘The bastides of south-west France’, Art Bulletin 78 (1995), pp.290-307.
    • RCAHMW, Inventory of the Ancient Monuments of Wales and Monmouthshire VI – county of Merioneth (HMSO, London, 1910).
    • RCAHMW, Inventory of the Ancient Monuments in Wales and Monmouthshire II, the county of Flint (HMSO, London, 1912), pp.7-9.
    • RCAHMW, Inventory of the Ancient Monuments of Wales and Monmouthshire IV – county of Denbigh (HMSO, London, 1914).
    • RCAHMW, An Inventory of the Ancient and Historical Monuments in Anglesey (HMSO, London, 1937).
    • RCAHMW, An Inventory of the Ancient Monuments in Caernarvonshire, volume I: east, the cantref of Arllechwedd and the commote of Creuddyn (HMSO, London, 1956).
    • RCAHMW, An Inventory of the Ancient Monuments in Caernarvonshire, volume II: central, the cantref of Arfon and the commote of Eifionydd (HMSO, London, 1960).
    • W. Rees, ‘Minsters’ accounts for the borough of Criccieth’, Bulletin of the Board of Celtic Studies 3 (1926), pp.62-72.
    • D. Rudling, ‘Archaeological investigations at St Giles’ churchyard’, in D. Martin and D. Rudling (eds.), Excavations in Winchelsea, Sussex 1974-2000 (Heritage Marketing, Kings Lynn, 2004), pp.75-93.
    • I.J. Sanders, ‘The boroughs of Aberystwyth and Cardigan in the early fourteenth century’, Bulletin of the Board of Celtic Studies 15 (1954), pp.282-293.
    • L.R. Shelby, ‘The geometrical knowledge of mediaeval master masons’, Speculum 47 (1972), pp.395-421.
    • T.R. Slater, ‘Ideal and reality in English Episcopal medieval town planning’, Transactions of the Institute of British Geographers 12 (new series) (1987), pp.191-203.
    • I. Soulsby, The Towns of Medieval Wales (Phillimore, Chichester, 1983).
    • L. Swan, ‘Monastic proto-towns in early medieval Ireland: the evidence of aerial photography, plan analysis and survey’, in H.B. Clarke and A. Simms (eds) The Comparative History of Urban Origins in Non-Roman Europe, British Archaeological Reports, International Series 255 (1985), ii, pp.77-102.
    • A.J. Taylor, The Welsh Castles of Edward I (Hambledon Press, London, 1986).
    • A.J. Taylor, ‘Master James of St George’, English Historical Review 65 (1950), pp.433-57.
    • A.J. Taylor, ‘Rhuddlan cathedral: a ‘might-have-been’ of Flintshire history’, Flintshire Historical Society Publications 15 (1954-5), pp.43-51.
    • A.J. Taylor, ‘Some notes on the Savoyards in North Wales, 1277-1300, with special reference to the Savoyard element in the construction of Harlech castle’, Genava 11 (New Series) (1963), pp.289-315.
    • A.J. Taylor, ‘Who was ‘John Pennardd, leader of the men of Gwynedd?’, English Historical Review 91 (1976), pp.79-97.
    • T.F. Tout, Chapters in Administrative History of Mediaeval England. The Wardrobe, the Chamber and the Small Seals, volume II (Manchester University Press, London, 1920).
    • T.F. Tout, Mediaeval Town Planning, a lecture (Manchester University Press, Manchester, 1934).
    • S. Toy, ‘The town and castle of Conway’, Archaeologia 86 (1936), pp.163-93.
    • J.P. Trabut-Cussac, ‘Date, fondation et identification de la bastide de Baa’, Revue Historique de Bordeaux 10 (1961), pp.133-144.
    • R. Unwin, Town Planning in Practice – an introduction to the art of designing cities and suburbs (Fisher Unwin, London, 1909).
    • G. Usher, ‘The foundation of an Edwardian borough: the Beaumaris charter 1296’, Transactions of the Anglesey Archaeological Society (1967), pp.1-16.
    • Victoria History of the Counties of England, Sussex, volume 9, the Rape of Hastings, ed. L.F. Salzman (Oxford University Press, London, 1937).
    • G.A. Williams, Medieval London. From commune to capital (Athlone Press, London, 1963).
    • K. Williams-Jones, ‘Caernarvon’, in R.A. Griffiths (ed.), Boroughs of Mediaeval Wales (University of Wales Press, Cardiff, 1978), pp.72-101.
    • Winchelsea Corporation Records – a catalogue, ed. R.F. Dell (East Sussex County Council, Lewes, 1963).

[top]