Data copyright © Berkshire Archaeological Society unless otherwise stated
Berkshire Archaeological Society
19 Challenor Close
Digital Object Identifiers (DOIs) are persistent identifiers which can be used to consistently and accurately reference digital objects and/or content. The DOIs provide a way for the ADS resources to be cited in a similar fashion to traditional scholarly materials. More information on DOIs at the ADS can be found on our help page.
DOIs should be the last element in a citation irrespective of the format used. The DOI citation should begin with "doi:" in lowercase followed by the DOI with no spaces between the ":" and the DOI.
DOIs can also be cited as a persistent link from another Web page. This is done by appending the DOI Resolver with the DOI. This would look like:
However, if it is possible it is best to hide the URL in the href property of the <a> tag and have the link text be of the form doi:10.5284/1000017. The HTML for this would look like:
Berkshire Archaeological Society (2008) Berkshire Archaeological Journal [data-set]. York: Archaeology Data Service [distributor] (doi:10.5284/1000017)
The Berkshire Archaeological and Architectural Society was founded in 1871 and, in 1878, started publishing annual reports and transactions. These publications came to an end in 1883. In 1889, the Society launched the Quarterly Journal of the Berkshire Archaeological and Architectural Society. It was bound with eight parts per volume. Three volumes were produced by 1895 when the last of these journals was published.
In 1895, a number of groups agreed to work together to produce the Berks, Bucks and Oxon Archaeological Journal. These groups were the Berkshire Archaeological Society, The Newbury District Field Club, The Oxford Architectural and Historical Society, The Oxford University Antiquarian Society, and The Ladies Brass-rubbing Society of Oxford.
From 1895 until 1918, this journal was produced with four parts per volumes, the parts being published in April, July, October and January over a 12 month period. From 1919, the journal was produced with two parts per volume. In 1930, the joint publication came to an end.
In 1931, starting with volume 35, the Berkshire Archaeological Society began publishing the Berkshire Archaeological Journal at the rate of two parts per volume; one in the spring and the other in the autumn. These arrangements changed in 1943 when volume 47 was produced as a single publication. Since then the journal has been produced as a succession of single issues produced initially every year and latterly every two or three years.
There are two indexes to these journals. They are:
The copyright for articles is held by the original authors. Papers and books with quotations from, and references to, these articles must include a bibliography with a full bibliographic reference which names the author, the publication date, the issue of the Journal, the page or pages within the issue. A typical example is:
Hautenville Cope, J. 1913. The preservation of National Monuments in foreign countries, Berkshire Archaeological Journal: vol. 19: 10-14
The copyright of photographic plates and figures is held by the Berkshire Archaeological Society, they can be included in papers and books providing the picture is accompanied by a title and a bibliographic reference. The title must be followed by the words: "copyright Berkshire Archaeological Society". A typical example of such a figure title would be:
Fig. nn. Lyford, the manor house (copyright Berkshire Archaeological Society)