No. 9 New Street, Worcester. Archaeological Watching Brief (OASIS ID: borderar1-254986)

Border Archaeology, 2018

Data copyright © Border Archaeology unless otherwise stated


Border Archaeology logo

Primary contact

Ian Channell Wright
Manager: Photographic Data Auditing and Conservation
Border Archaeology
The Plaza
Owen Way
Leominster Enterprise Park
Leominster
HR6 0LA
UK

Send e-mail enquiry

Resource identifiers

Digital Object Identifiers

Digital Object Identifiers (DOIs) are persistent identifiers which can be used to consistently and accurately reference digital objects and/or content. The DOIs provide a way for the ADS resources to be cited in a similar fashion to traditional scholarly materials. More information on DOIs at the ADS can be found on our help page.

Citing this DOI

The updated Crossref DOI Display guidelines recommend that DOIs should be displayed in the following format:

https://doi.org/10.5284/1046748
Sample Citation for this DOI

Border Archaeology (2018) No. 9 New Street, Worcester. Archaeological Watching Brief (OASIS ID: borderar1-254986) [data-set]. York: Archaeology Data Service [distributor] https://doi.org/10.5284/1046748

Introduction

No. 9 New Street, Worcester. Archaeological Watching Brief (OASIS ID: borderar1-254986)

Border Archaeology was instructed by Julian Alder of PLJ Ltd on behalf of Crystalight Ltd to carry out a programme of archaeological recording with respect to the conversion to residential use of a mid-18th -century range to the rear of No. 9 New Street Worcester. The building served as an Oddfellows Hall from 1923 and was subject to a programme of rebuilding, alteration and extension in 1928-9. It is later shown as a 'Club' on the Ordnance Survey 1:2500 map of 1965.

The results of the archaeological observation were largely negative, the drainage runs (Areas 1 and 3-4) being of relatively shallow depth; however, where excavations went deeper, namely, on the eastern elevation (Area 2) and to the rear of the building (Area 5), limited evidence of earlier activity was recovered comprising a small number of pottery sherds of medieval and post-medieval date from Area 2 together with evidence of a floor and walls in Area 5, possibly relating to the existing mid - 18th -century basement complex.