Data copyright © Council for British Archaeology unless otherwise stated
Council for British Archaeology
St Mary's House
Tel: 01904 671417
Fax: 01904 671384
Digital Object Identifiers (DOIs) are persistent identifiers which can be used to consistently and accurately reference digital objects and/or content. The DOIs provide a way for the ADS resources to be cited in a similar fashion to traditional scholarly materials. More information on DOIs at the ADS can be found on our help page.
The updated Crossref DOI Display guidelines recommend that DOIs should be displayed in the following format:
Council for British Archaeology (2007) CBA Research Reports [data-set]. York: Archaeology Data Service [distributor] https://doi.org/10.5284/1000332
ISBN 1872414 37 0
Destruction by commercial gravel-digging in the fields north-west of the Roman town of Great Chesterford, Essex in 1952 produced evidence of Anglo-Saxon graves near the known position of one of the Roman cemeteries surrounding the town. As a result of subsequent excavation on behalf of the Inspectorate of Ancient Monuments 161 inhumation graves, 33 cremation graves, 2 horse graves and 2 dog burials were uncovered, and the positioning of some of the graves, together with other evidence, indicated the earlier presence of tumuli. The adult female graves were well furnished with a variety of jewellery. Some of the men were provided with weapons as usual, but a large percentage of the graves were without weapons, and as some of these graves contained other items of some interest the identity of these men comes into question. There was an unusually large percentage of children's graves, probably reflecting a more accurate picture than usual of the normal mortality rate in Anglo-Saxon times.
|An Anglo-Saxon cemetery at Great Chesterford, Essex (CBA Research Report 91)||19 Mb|