Town Square Shopping Centre, Stratford-upon-Avon, Warwickshire. Programme of Archaeological Investigation (OASIS ID: cotswold2-287820)

Cotswold Archaeology, 2018

Data copyright © Cotswold Archaeology unless otherwise stated


Cotswold Archaeology logo

Primary contact

Hazel O'Neill
Cotswold Archaeology
Building 11
Kemble Enterprise Park
Cirencester
GL7 6BQ
UK
Tel: 01285 772624

Send e-mail enquiry

Resource identifiers

Digital Object Identifiers

Digital Object Identifiers (DOIs) are persistent identifiers which can be used to consistently and accurately reference digital objects and/or content. The DOIs provide a way for the ADS resources to be cited in a similar fashion to traditional scholarly materials. More information on DOIs at the ADS can be found on our help page.

Citing this DOI

The updated Crossref DOI Display guidelines recommend that DOIs should be displayed in the following format:

https://doi.org/10.5284/1047585
Sample Citation for this DOI

Cotswold Archaeology (2018) Town Square Shopping Centre, Stratford-upon-Avon, Warwickshire. Programme of Archaeological Investigation (OASIS ID: cotswold2-287820) [data-set]. York: Archaeology Data Service [distributor] https://doi.org/10.5284/1047585

Introduction

Town Square Shopping Centre, Stratford-upon-Avon, Warwickshire. Programme of Archaeological Investigation (OASIS ID: cotswold2-287820)

The archaeological investigation established that the site has undergone extensive ground reduction, with the original land surface having been almost entirely removed in preparation for the construction of the 1970s shopping centre.

In situ topsoil and subsoil deposits were entirely absent and in some areas the sand and gravel substrate appears to have been truncated. The only remains of the original land surface were pockets of redeposited dark soil located in two areas of the site.

The only feature identified within the site was a modern rubbish pit, largely filled with broken roof tiles and a glass bottle bearing the stamp 'R. M. Bird and Co, Stratford-on-Avon', a local wine merchant in business in the town around 1900. Reference to historic maps shows that the pit was located to the rear of a former public house, The Plymouth Arms, which fronted on to Wood Street.