English Heritage Archaeological Monographs

English Heritage, 2014

Data copyright © English Heritage unless otherwise stated


Historic England logo

Primary contact

Louise Portsmouth
Historic England Publishing Department
Historic England
The Engine House
Firefly Avenue
Swindon
SN2 2EH

Send e-mail enquiry

Resource identifiers

Digital Object Identifiers

Digital Object Identifiers (DOIs) are persistent identifiers which can be used to consistently and accurately reference digital objects and/or content. The DOIs provide a way for the ADS resources to be cited in a similar fashion to traditional scholarly materials. More information on DOIs at the ADS can be found on our help page.

Citing this DOI

The updated Crossref DOI Display guidelines recommend that DOIs should be displayed in the following format:

https://doi.org/10.5284/1028203
Sample Citation for this DOI

English Heritage (2014) English Heritage Archaeological Monographs [data-set]. York: Archaeology Data Service [distributor] https://doi.org/10.5284/1028203

The Roman Baths and Macellum at Wroxeter Excavations 1955-85

Ellis, P.


English Heritage (2000)


Abstract:

The Roman Baths and Macellum at Wroxeter Excavations 1955-85

Excavations by Graham Webster at Wroxeter (Viroconium Cornoviorum) were undertaken on the southern part of the insula containing the baths and market hall (macellum), the latter one of few known in the province. The excavations enable the construction sequence and function of these major public buildings to be unravelled and analysed in detail on an insula untouched by medieval or later buildings. The work revealed that timber-framed buildings, constructed c AD 90 and fronting on Watling Street, were swept away to accommodate the public buildings, which were built over several decades between the 120s and 160s. Changes were introduced in the third century when a swimming pool (natatio) was filled in and an additional baths suite was built in the exercise yard to one side of the main baths complex. Excavations in the street porticoes and on Watling Street revealed a continued use of some of the buildings into the fifth century, after their original functions had ceased. The artefact and environmental finds reports are on material deriving mainly from the initial building campaign, but with some third-century groups. The report includes an edition and compilation of the accounts of the nineteenth-century excavations by Thomas Wright and others.


Download monograph

The Roman Baths and Macellum at Wroxeter Excavations 1955-85, Ellis, P., English Heritage (2000), ISBN: 9781848022003 PDF 60 Mb