Kendal Fell Quarry, Kendal, Cumbria

Oxford Archaeology North, 2007

Data copyright © Oxford Archaeology North unless otherwise stated


Aggregates Levy Sustainability Fund logo
English Heritage logo

Primary contact

Ian Miller
Oxford Archaeology North
Mill 3
Moor Lane Mills
Moor Lane
Lancaster
LA1 1QD
UK
Tel: 01524 848666

Send e-mail enquiry

Resource identifiers

Digital Object Identifiers

Digital Object Identifiers (DOIs) are persistent identifiers which can be used to consistently and accurately reference digital objects and/or content. The DOIs provide a way for the ADS resources to be cited in a similar fashion to traditional scholarly materials. More information on DOIs at the ADS can be found on our help page.

Citing this DOI

The updated Crossref DOI Display guidelines recommend that DOIs should be displayed in the following format:

https://doi.org/10.5284/1000286
Sample Citation for this DOI

Oxford Archaeology North (2007) Kendal Fell Quarry, Kendal, Cumbria [data-set]. York: Archaeology Data Service [distributor] https://doi.org/10.5284/1000286

Oxford Archaeology North logo

Introduction

Oxford Archaeology North was commissioned by Kendal Civic Society to carry out a Conservation Plan of Kendal Fell, Kendal, Cumbria (centred on SD 505 929). This arose as a result of a proposal to restore and make accessible to the public a limekiln at Greenside, which is a Scheduled Ancient Monument (SM No. 34994). The scope of this scheme was extended using funding from the Aggregates Levy Sustainability Fund to cover the whole of the area owned by South Lakeland District Council. This extends between Greeenside on the South side and Helsfell to the north, Queen's Road and Windemenre Road on the east side and the parish boundary between Kendal and Underbarrow with Bradleyfield to the west.

Ruined Barn off Windermere Road, Kendal Fell

The Conservation Plan examined the historical development of the landscape of Kendal Fell in terms of previous research, general background and more specific documentary sources. An assessment was also made of the significance of the various parts of the Fell, and ways in which it can be conserved, managed and interpreted in the future are presented.

Kendal Fell was enclosed by an Act of Parliament in 1767, and forms an important part of the landscape of Kendal. It played a major role in processes associated with the woolen and lime burning industries, and its extensive quarries were also used for building stone. Holme and Webster, a famous local company of architects and master masons, acquired some of their stone from the quarry at Kettlewell.

A brief topographic survey of the entire study area was also undertaken in order to identify the extent and condition of archaeological features on Kendal Fell. A total of 39 sites were identified, the majority relating to quarrying, but a large number of post-medieval ridge and furrow were also identified. These have not been previously recorded and appear to relate to the original field boundaries laid out after the land was enclosed in 1767, which had been removed by 1812.

The combined results of the historic background and the topographic survey allowed a detailed consideration of the significance of the various aspects of the landscape to be created. As a result of this a series of policies for maintaining and conserving the Fell were drawn up so that it can be preserved and enjoyed by future generations.