Corpus Christi College, New Sub Main Works, Oxford, Oxfordshire. Archaeological Watching Brief (OASIS ID: oxfordar1-312885)

Oxford Archaeology (South), 2018

Data copyright © Oxford Archaeology (South) unless otherwise stated


Oxford Archaeology (South) logo

Primary contact

Oxford Archaeology (South)
Janus House
Osney Mead
Oxford
OX2 0ES
UK
Tel: 01865 263800
Fax: 01865 793496

Send e-mail enquiry

Resource identifiers

Digital Object Identifiers

Digital Object Identifiers (DOIs) are persistent identifiers which can be used to consistently and accurately reference digital objects and/or content. The DOIs provide a way for the ADS resources to be cited in a similar fashion to traditional scholarly materials. More information on DOIs at the ADS can be found on our help page.

Citing this DOI

The updated Crossref DOI Display guidelines recommend that DOIs should be displayed in the following format:

https://doi.org/10.5284/1048380
Sample Citation for this DOI

Oxford Archaeology (South) (2018) Corpus Christi College, New Sub Main Works, Oxford, Oxfordshire. Archaeological Watching Brief (OASIS ID: oxfordar1-312885) [data-set]. York: Archaeology Data Service [distributor] https://doi.org/10.5284/1048380

Introduction

Corpus Christi College, New Sub Main Works, Oxford, Oxfordshire. Archaeological Watching Brief (OASIS ID: oxfordar1-312885)

Between 15th August and 23rd September 2016 Oxford Archaeology carried out an intermittent watching brief at Corpus Christi College, Oxford on works to replace submains cables. Two sections of cable trench were monitored, and three test pits were observed to inform the depth of a third section of trench, also subsequently monitored. Evidence for burials associated with the 16th chapel was encountered, including the capping of a stone and brick burial vault which contained a coffin observable through a void in the structure.

Some disarticulated human bone was also recovered and reburied on the site, providing evidence for additional disturbed burials in the area. A rubbish pit dating from 1650-1700 contained pottery and animal bones, including a rare example of a turkey bone from this date. Walls and pillar bases from earlier incarnations of the College buildings were also recorded.