Chapel, Royal South Hants Hospital, Fanshawe Street, Southampton (SOU1570)

Southampton City Council, 2013

Data copyright © Southampton Archaeology Unit unless otherwise stated


Southampton City Council logo

Primary contact

Dr Andy Russel
Archaeology Unit Manager, Ancient Monuments Officer, and War Memorials Officer
Southampton City Council Archaeology Unit
18 Melbourne Street
Southampton
SO14 5FB
Tel: +44 (0) 2380 832022

Send e-mail enquiry

Resource identifiers

Digital Object Identifiers

Digital Object Identifiers (DOIs) are persistent identifiers which can be used to consistently and accurately reference digital objects and/or content. The DOIs provide a way for the ADS resources to be cited in a similar fashion to traditional scholarly materials. More information on DOIs at the ADS can be found on our help page.

Citing this DOI

The updated Crossref DOI Display guidelines recommend that DOIs should be displayed in the following format:

https://doi.org/10.5284/1018074
Sample Citation for this DOI

Southampton City Council (2013) Chapel, Royal South Hants Hospital, Fanshawe Street, Southampton (SOU1570) [data-set]. York: Archaeology Data Service [distributor] https://doi.org/10.5284/1018074

Introduction

Chapel, Royal South Hants Hospital, Southampton. The north elevation, looking south..

The project was an archaeological building record, to level 2, of a hospital chapel built in 1857-1858 to designs by local church architects Hinve and Bedborough. It was built in Perpendicular style to serve the adjacent Royal South Hants Hospital. The chapel was accessed from the hospital at first floor level, and sat above an undercroft. The interior of the chapel had been much altered by the insertion of new panelling and furnishings in 1898, 1920 and 1923. A significant stained glass window, in memory of Fred Woolley, was inserted into the south window in 1955.

The physical archive has been deposited at Southampton City Museum with the accession/site code SOU1570.