Bald Faced Stag, 36 Edward Street, Southampton (SOU1571)

Southampton City Council, 2013

Data copyright © Southampton Archaeology Unit unless otherwise stated


Southampton City Council logo

Primary contact

Dr Andy Russel
Archaeology Unit Manager, Ancient Monuments Officer, and War Memorials Officer
Southampton City Council Archaeology Unit
18 Melbourne Street
Southampton
SO14 5FB
Tel: +44 (0) 2380 832022

Send e-mail enquiry

Resource identifiers

Digital Object Identifiers

Digital Object Identifiers (DOIs) are persistent identifiers which can be used to consistently and accurately reference digital objects and/or content. The DOIs provide a way for the ADS resources to be cited in a similar fashion to traditional scholarly materials. More information on DOIs at the ADS can be found on our help page.

Citing this DOI

The updated Crossref DOI Display guidelines recommend that DOIs should be displayed in the following format:

https://doi.org/10.5284/1018075
Sample Citation for this DOI

Southampton City Council (2013) Bald Faced Stag, 36 Edward Street, Southampton (SOU1571) [data-set]. York: Archaeology Data Service [distributor] https://doi.org/10.5284/1018075

Introduction

Bald Faced Stag, 36 Edward Street, Southampton. South and east elevations, looking north-west.

The project was an archaeological building record, to level 2, of the cellar of the Bald Faced Stag public House at 36 Edward Road in the Freemantle area of Southampton. The public house dates from the 1870s when it was known as the 'Stag Inn'. Stylistic and map evidence suggests that the upper stories may have been rebuilt at some time between 1896 and 1909. The bricks used in the cellar were smaller than those of the ground floor, perhaps indicating that the cellar belonged to the original building phase of the 1870s. The cellar was originally accessed by a brick staircase at the north end, but this was replaced by a wooden stair against the west wall. This change may either have occurred during the refurbishment/rebuilding of about 1900, or when the bar area was reformed, probably in 1965.

The physical archive has been deposited at Southampton City Museum with the accession/site code SOU1571.