Bedlington Old School, Northumberland (OASIS ID: vindomor1-197083)

Tony Liddell, 2015

Data copyright © Vindomora Solutions unless otherwise stated


Vindomora Solutions logo

Primary contact

Vindomora Solutions
Office 13, Consett Innovation Centre
Ponds Court Business Park
Genesis Way, Consett
County Durham
DH8 5XP

Send e-mail enquiry

Resource identifiers

Digital Object Identifiers

Digital Object Identifiers (DOIs) are persistent identifiers which can be used to consistently and accurately reference digital objects and/or content. The DOIs provide a way for the ADS resources to be cited in a similar fashion to traditional scholarly materials. More information on DOIs at the ADS can be found on our help page.

Citing this DOI

The updated Crossref DOI Display guidelines recommend that DOIs should be displayed in the following format:

https://doi.org/10.5284/1037854
Sample Citation for this DOI

Tony Liddell (2015) Bedlington Old School, Northumberland (OASIS ID: vindomor1-197083) [data-set]. York: Archaeology Data Service [distributor] https://doi.org/10.5284/1037854

Introduction

Bedlington Old School, Northumberland (OASIS ID: vindomor1-197083)

On the 10th November 2014, Dysart Developments Ltd commissioned Vindomora Solutions to undertake the Level 2 historic building recording of Bedlington Old School, Bedlington, Northumberland report in order to discharge conditions 2 and 3 of the Conservation Area Consent 03/00508/CON to allow the demolition of the standing school building and the redevelopment of the plot into 19 residential flats with parking. The survey was also to examine the potential of re-use of the building's stone in the new build: the examination was undertaken by Heritage Consolidation Ltd and their comments incorporated into this report.

Bedlington Old School was built in 1874 as a Council Infants School, the building replacing Church Row, and continued in use as such into the 20th century. In 1932, the building was renovated and extended west. The school discontinued its intended use in 1974, when it became St. Cuthbert's Church Hall. Built of local sandstone the school is architecturally unremarkable, with all historic and potentially interesting architectural features removed, barring an inscribed stone in the eastern outer elevation: furthermore, the building is in such poor condition that the structure is a health and safety liability, with the roof and ceilings liable to further imminent collapse and the floor continuing to rot. Multiple fires have opened the structure to the elements, allowing wind and water to compound the damage caused by the fires.