Former Car Clinic, Back of the Walls, Southampton (SOU1247 and SOU1282)

Wessex Archaeology, 2018

Data copyright © Wessex Archaeology unless otherwise stated


Wessex Archaeology logo

Primary contact

Jennifer Whitby
Archives Technician
Wessex Archaeology
Portway House
Old Sarum Park
Salisbury
SP4 6EB
UK

Send e-mail enquiry

Resource identifiers

Digital Object Identifiers

Digital Object Identifiers (DOIs) are persistent identifiers which can be used to consistently and accurately reference digital objects and/or content. The DOIs provide a way for the ADS resources to be cited in a similar fashion to traditional scholarly materials. More information on DOIs at the ADS can be found on our help page.

Citing this DOI

The updated Crossref DOI Display guidelines recommend that DOIs should be displayed in the following format:

https://doi.org/10.5284/1047215
Sample Citation for this DOI

Wessex Archaeology (2018) Former Car Clinic, Back of the Walls, Southampton (SOU1247 and SOU1282) [data-set]. York: Archaeology Data Service [distributor] https://doi.org/10.5284/1047215

Introduction

Former Car Clinic, Back of the Walls, Southampton (SOU1247 and SOU1282)

Wessex Archaeology was commissioned by PMC Construction & Development Limited to undertake an archaeological excavation at the former Car Clinic premises, Back of the Walls, Southampton, centred on NGR 442315 111195. Subsequent to an archaeological evaluation undertaken in April and May 2003 (SOU1247), also by Wessex Archaeology, Southampton City Council recommended that another archaeological excavation (SOU 1282) be undertaken to consolidate and expand upon the results of the evaluation. Remains of Saxo-Norman date have been recorded to the south of the Site, along with remains of Southampton's Medieval defences. The line of the town wall extended along the western frontage of the Site, while to the east, the Site straddled the line of the two town ditches. In addition, it was considered a possibility that the position of an artillery redoubt added to the wall and shown on a plan dated 1791 lay within the Site. The eastern end of the Site lay over the line of the former 18th century canal. Mitigation comprised the opening of an excavation area adjacent to, and east of Back of the Walls, extending approximately 7m by 6.6m and including the original evaluation trench.

No evidence of the town wall was found along the western street frontage, although modern foundations were found to cut into the natural brick-earth severely impacting the potential survival of archaeological remains. A 19th century brick culvert system was uncovered which truncated an earlier 19th century pipe trench. These two features truncated the fragmented remains an east-west aligned post-supported beam-slot of possible Anglo-Norman date along with the remains of two probable Late Saxon features.