St. Joseph's Convent, York. Heritage Statement and Building Recording (OASIS ID: yorkarch1-316192)

York Archaeological Trust, 2018

Data copyright © York Archaeological Trust unless otherwise stated


York Archaeological Trust logo

Primary contact

York Archaeological Trust
47 Aldwark
York
YO1 7BX
England
Tel: 01904 663000
Fax: 01904 663024

Send e-mail enquiry

Resource identifiers

Digital Object Identifiers

Digital Object Identifiers (DOIs) are persistent identifiers which can be used to consistently and accurately reference digital objects and/or content. The DOIs provide a way for the ADS resources to be cited in a similar fashion to traditional scholarly materials. More information on DOIs at the ADS can be found on our help page.

Citing this DOI

The updated Crossref DOI Display guidelines recommend that DOIs should be displayed in the following format:

https://doi.org/10.5284/1049648
Sample Citation for this DOI

York Archaeological Trust (2018) St. Joseph's Convent, York. Heritage Statement and Building Recording (OASIS ID: yorkarch1-316192) [data-set]. York: Archaeology Data Service [distributor] https://doi.org/10.5284/1049648

Introduction

St. Joseph's Convent, York. Heritage Statement and Building Recording (OASIS ID: yorkarch1-316192)

A Heritage Statement has been compiled by York Archaeological Trust concerning St. Joseph's Convent, York to establish the history and significance of the property, and to provide an assessment of the impacts future works will have on the established significance. This report additionally constitutes the archaeological recording of the buildings, agreed in consultation with the City of York Council Heritage Project Officer.

St Joseph’s Monastery was founded in 1870 for the Poor Clare Colettine, an Enclosed Order from Belgium. The original buildings, the Cloister, the Extern and the Priest's House, now known as the Lodge, were built in one phase of construction between 1871 and 1875 in the Gothic Revival style. The convent continued to expand in the 20th century with the introduction of an orchard and an agricultural area, ensuring that the Sisters were increasingly self-sustainable and subsistent. The convent began to decline in the 21st century until the order moved in 2012 allowing for redevelopment on the site.

The Cloister and the larger Monastery grounds now house student accommodation and recreation areas. The Extern and the Lodge are the only remaining buildings that have yet to be redeveloped and are the focus of this Heritage Statement. The buildings have been left derelict since the departure of the Sisters in 2012 and have deteriorated. There have been additions and alterations to the buildings throughout the 20th century though the layout of the buildings remains predominantly the same from how they stood originally.

This report compiles the documentary evidence along with the details from a site visit, together with the current plans for the building, which informs the assessment of the significance and character of the heritage asset.