J. A Quartermaine, ed., (2003). Thomas Telford's Holyhead road. York: Council for British Archaeology.

Title
Title
The title of the publication or report
Title:
Thomas Telford's Holyhead road
Subtitle
Subtitle
The sub title of the publication or report
Subtitle:
the A5 in North Wales
Series
Series
The series the publication or report is included in
Series:
Council for British Archaeology Research Reports
Volume
Volume
Volume number and part
Volume:
135
Pages
Pages
The number of pages in the publication or report
Number of Pages:
204
Downloads
Downloads
Any files associated with the publication or report that can be downloaded from the ADS
Downloads:
DOI
DOI
The DOI (digital object identifier) for the publication or report.
DOI
Publication Type
Publication Type
The type of publication - report, monograph, journal article or chapter from a book
Publication Type:
Monograph Chapter (in Series)
Abstract
Abstract
The abstract describing the content of the publication or report
Abstract:
Presents the results of a survey of the Welsh section of the road from Chirk to Holyhead, undertaken in 1999 and 2000, and also of the 14-mile spur road between Bangor and Conwy that forms part of the Chester Road. The road was built between 1815 and 1826, as a result of the Act of Union and the need for improved communication routes between Dublin and London. Telford's aim of constructing a road with gradients no steeper than 1:30 entailed the construction of numerous embankments, and a large number of stone bridges were also built in addition to the major bridges such as the cast-iron Waterloo Bridge at Betws-y-Coed and the suspension bridges at Conwy and across the Menai Straits. A supporting infrastructure alongside the road was also constructed in the form of depots for storing road surface materials; milestones; toll houses; and coaching inns. The report discusses the variable survival of the road surfaces, bridges, and other structures; the decline of traffic on the road following the opening of railway routes between London and Holyhead in the mid-nineteenth century; and the revival of use in the twentieth century. Includes Welsh, French and German summaries and a short section on `Getting involved', as well as
Author
Author
The authors of this publication or report
Author:
Jamie A Quartermaine
Barrie Trinder
Rick Turner
Editor
Editor
The editor of the publication or report
Editor:
Jamie A Quartermaine
Publisher
Publisher
The publisher of the publication or report
Publisher:
Council for British Archaeology
Year of Publication
Year of Publication
The year the book, article or report was published
Year of Publication:
2003
ISBN
ISBN
International Standard Book Number
ISBN:
1-902771-34-6
Figure/Plate/Table/Ref
Figure/Plate/Table/Ref
What type of illustrations and extra information is available in the publication or report.
Figure/Plate/Table/Ref:
Figure:    Plate:    Table:    Ref:
Source
Source
Where the record has come from or which dataset it was orginally included in.
Source:
The British & Irish Archaeological Bibliography (BIAB)
Related resources
Related resources
Other resources which are relevant to this publication or report
Relations:
URL: http://new.archaeologyuk.org/full-list-of-publications
Created Date
Created Date
The date the record of the pubication was first entered
Created Date:
15 Apr 2005
Chapter Title Sort Order Both Arrows Access Type Author / Editor Page
Start/End Sort Order Up Arrow
Abstract
151 - 158
159 - 172