C. R W Wallace, ed., (2004). Conservation and change on Edinburgh's defences:. Edinburgh: Society of Antiquaries of Scotland. https://doi.org/10.5284/1017938.

Title
Title
The title of the publication or report
Title:
Conservation and change on Edinburgh's defences:
Subtitle
Subtitle
The sub title of the publication or report
Subtitle:
archaeological investigation and building recording of the Flodden Wall, Grassmarket 1998-2001
Series
Series
The series the publication or report is included in
Series:
Scottish Archaeological Internet Reports
Volume
Volume
Volume number and part
Volume:
10
Pages
Pages
The number of pages in the publication or report
Number of Pages:
25
Downloads
Downloads
Any files associated with the publication or report that can be downloaded from the ADS
Downloads:
sair10.pdf (1 MB) : Download
DOI
DOI
The DOI (digital object identifier) for the publication or report.
DOI
https://doi.org/10.5284/1017938
Publication Type
Publication Type
The type of publication - report, monograph, journal article or chapter from a book
Publication Type:
Monograph Chapter (in Series)
Abstract
Abstract
The abstract describing the content of the publication or report
Abstract:
This report presents the results of a historic building survey and archaeological watching brief undertaken between 1998 and 2001 during restoration work (undertaken as part of the Scottish Dance Base development) on the Flodden Wall running between Edinburgh's Grassmarket and Johnston Terrace. The Flodden Wall is the name given to the 16th-century extension of the capital's town defences, traditionally seen as having been constructed in the months following the defeat at Flodden in 1513. Prior to this project the extent and condition of this particular stretch of the Flodden Wall (the north-western boundary of the Grassmarket and a Scheduled Ancient Monument) was not fully understood. This project has shown that here the Flodden Wall and surrounding area had undergone three major phases of construction and redevelopment, from its origins in the early 16th century to the formation of a drying green (Granny's Green) to the west of the Wall in the late 19th century. In particular the results have demonstrated that the surviving southern section of the Wall here was largely rebuilt during the third quarter of the 18th century, when a complex of buildings was constructed along Kings Stables Road abutting the Wall's western face.
Author
Author
The authors of this publication or report
Author:
J A Lawson
D Reed
John A Lawson
David Reed
Editor
Editor
The editor of the publication or report
Editor:
Colin R W Wallace
Publisher
Publisher
The publisher of the publication or report
Publisher:
Society of Antiquaries of Scotland
Year of Publication
Year of Publication
The year the book, article or report was published
Year of Publication:
2004
ISBN
ISBN
International Standard Book Number
ISBN:
0-903903-79-2
Locations
Locations
Any locations covered by the publication or report. This is not the place the book or report was published.
Subjects / Periods:
Medieval
BIAB: Defences
BIAB: Building Recording
Source
Source
Where the record has come from or which dataset it was orginally included in.
Source:
DigitalBorn
Related resources
Related resources
Other resources which are relevant to this publication or report
Relations:
Created Date
Created Date
The date the record of the pubication was first entered
Created Date:
03 Feb 2004
Chapter Title Sort Order Both Arrows Access Type Author / Editor Page
Start/End Sort Order Up Arrow
Abstract
J A Lawson
David Reed
0
This report presents the results of a historic building survey and archaeological watching brief undertaken between 1998 and 2001 during restoration work (undertaken as part of the Scottish Dance Base development) on the Flodden Wall running between Edinburgh's Grassmarket and Johnston Terrace. The Flodden Wall is the name given to the sixteenth-century extension of the capital's town defences, traditionally seen as having been constructed in the months following the defeat at Flodden in 1513. Prior to this project the extent and condition of this particular stretch of the Flodden Wall (the north-western boundary of the Grassmarket and a Scheduled Ancient Monument) was not fully understood. This project has shown that here the Flodden Wall and surrounding area had undergone three major phases of construction and redevelopment, from its origins in the early sixteenth century to the formation of a drying green (Granny's Green) to the west of the Wall in the late-nineteenth century. In particular the results have demonstrated that the surviving southern section of the Wall here was largely rebuilt during the third quarter of the eighteenth century, when a complex of buildings was constructed along Kings Stables Road abutting the Wall's western face.
1 - 2
This report presents the results of a historic building survey and archaeological watching brief undertaken between 1998 and 2001 during restoration work (undertaken as part of the Scottish Dance Base development) on the Flodden Wall running between Edinburgh's Grassmarket and Johnston Terrace. The Flodden Wall is the name given to the 16th-century extension of the capital's town defences, traditionally seen as having been constructed in the months following the defeat at Flodden in 1513. Prior to this project the extent and condition of this particular stretch of the Flodden Wall (the north-western boundary of the Grassmarket and a Scheduled Ancient Monument) was not fully understood. This project has shown that here the Flodden Wall and surrounding area had undergone three major phases of construction and redevelopment, from its origins in the early 16th century to the formation of a drying green (Granny's Green) to the west of the Wall in the late 19th century. In particular the results have demonstrated that the surviving southern section of the Wall here was largely rebuilt during the third quarter of the 18th century, when a complex of buildings was constructed along Kings Stables Road abutting the Wall's western face.
J A Lawson
David Reed
3 - 6
The section describes the site location, circumstances behind the archaeological work and the methodology which included building survey, excavation of three engineering test pits and a watching brief during construction with a brief summary of previous work.
John A Lawson
David Reed
7 - 10
The results from the archaeological programme of works and building recording have been organised to reflect the three major phases of construction and redevelopment, starting with phase 1 - the reconstruction of the Flodden Wall in the early 16th century. Phase 2 is reconstruction and development of the wall from the 16th century to c 1850. Phase 3 (Granny's Green - post 1850) comprises large scale landscaping on both sides of the Floddden Wall in the second half of the 19th century.
John A Lawson
David Reed
Colin R W Wallace
11 - 17
This section considers the Grassmarket area before the wall, the site and its setting through time, and later medieval/early post-medieval urban walls in southern Scotland. It is concluded that a town wall, generally lacking the sort of architectural detail that allows the chronology of buildings to be defined, will always pose problems of date when the documentary evidence is either unclear or uncollected. In the case of the Flodden Wall, the foundations for the original building were never exposed during the present excavations.
18
19 - 20
21