Children, G., (2004). Archaeological Excavation at Pigeon House Orchard, Hope under Dinmore, Herefordshire. Border Archaeology.

Title
Title
The title of the publication or report
Title:
Archaeological Excavation at Pigeon House Orchard, Hope under Dinmore, Herefordshire
Series
Series
The series the publication or report is included in
Series:
Border Archaeology unpublished report series
Downloads
Downloads
Any files associated with the publication or report that can be downloaded from the ADS
Downloads:
borderar1-40335_1.pdf (11 MB) : Download
DOI
DOI
The DOI (digital object identifier) for the publication or report.
DOI
https://doi.org/10.5284/1001924
Publication Type
Publication Type
The type of publication - report, monograph, journal article or chapter from a book
Publication Type:
Report (in Series)
Abstract
Abstract
The abstract describing the content of the publication or report
Abstract:
The excavation revealed the foundations of two ranges of substantial masonry buildings located in a field approximately 200m SE of Bury of Hope Farm, formerly known as Pigeon House Orchard. Extensive cartographic and documentary research showed that these originally formed two L-shaped ranges of outbuildings grouped around a rectangular courtyard, which originally comprised a building described as a ''pigeon house'', a barn and stables. A survey of the manor of Hope under Dinmore taken in 1327 makes reference to a dovecote, and it is tempting to suggest that this structure was located in this field. The absence of any reference to these outbuildings in three 17th century surveys of the Bury of Hope estate suggests that these buildings, shown in early to mid 19th century maps of the Bury estate, could well date to the 18th century. It should also be noted that the farmhouse and adjacent barns at Bury of Hope Farm are known to have been extensively rebuilt in the mid-18th century. Extensive alterations appear to have been made to the outbuildings in Pigeon House Orchard during the first half of the 19th century, firstly by Thomas Berrington, owner of the Bury of Hope estate from 1809 to 1837, and subsequently by the Arkwright family, who converted part of the outbuildings into cottages in 1851. The Pigeon House cottages and associated outbuildings were completely demolished in 1868, in connection with the building of a new roadway running NW from the village towards the Bury of Hope Farm.
Author
Author
The authors of this publication or report
Author:
G Children
Publisher
Publisher
The publisher of the publication or report
Publisher:
Border Archaeology
Other Person/Org
Other Person/Org
Other people or organisations for this publication or report
Other Person/Org:
Historic England (OASIS Reviewer)
Herefordshire HER (OASIS Reviewer)
Year of Publication
Year of Publication
The year the book, article or report was published
Year of Publication:
2004
Locations
Locations
Any locations covered by the publication or report. This is not the place the book or report was published.
Locations:
Site: Pigeon House Orchard, Hope Under Dinmore
Parish: HOPE UNDER DINMORE
District: HEREFORDSHIRE
County: HEREFORDSHIRE
Country: England
Grid Reference: 350503, 252333 (Easting, Northing)
Identifiers
Identifiers
Identifiers associated with the publication. These might include DOIs, site codes, Monument Identifiers etc.
Identifiers:
OASIS Id: borderar1-40335
OBIB: BA0425LUHDP2
Note
Note
Extra information on the publication or report.
Note:
A4 ring bound report
Source
Source
Where the record has come from or which dataset it was orginally included in.
Source:
OASIS
Related resources
Related resources
Other resources which are relavant to this publication or report
Relations:
Created Date
Created Date
The date the record of the pubication was first entered
Created Date:
23 Nov 2016
 Location