Dalland, M., (2008). Barry Buddon training camp; a baseline condition survey of archaeological sites. Headland Archaeology Ltd.

Title
Title
The title of the publication or report
Title:
Barry Buddon training camp; a baseline condition survey of archaeological sites
Series
Series
The series the publication or report is included in
Series:
Headland Archaeology Ltd unpublished report series
Downloads
Downloads
Any files associated with the publication or report that can be downloaded from the ADS
Downloads:
headland1-42879_1.pdf (7 MB) : Download
DOI
DOI
The DOI (digital object identifier) for the publication or report.
DOI
https://doi.org/10.5284/1003837
Publication Type
Publication Type
The type of publication - report, monograph, journal article or chapter from a book
Publication Type:
Report (in Series)
Abstract
Abstract
The abstract describing the content of the publication or report
Abstract:
The project comprised a baseline condition survey of all recorded archaeological and historical sites and monuments at Barry Buddon training camp, Angus, Scotland. The training camp lies in an area comprising rare and important sand dune systems, designated as a SSSI. Map evidence suggests that the land was not permanently settled until the late 18th century, and it was taken over by the army some 100 years later. A total of 46 sites were recorded. Some 24% of these are related to the early civilian settlement, with the remaining 76% consisting of military sites dating from the mid 19th century to the mid 20th century. Most of the military sites are shooting ranges, some of which are still in use. There are also several trench systems dating back to WW I used for trench warfare training. Some of these were re-used during WW II. The coastal dune landscape implies threats to the sites from coastal and wind erosion. These threats have to some degree been addressed and most sites were in a surprisingly stable condition, considering the highly dynamic environment. Only four sites seems to be in need of urgent attention, a collapsing listed lighthouse keeper''s building at Buddon Ness and three Allan Williams Turrets from WW II.
Author
Author
The authors of this publication or report
Author:
M Dalland
Publisher
Publisher
The publisher of the publication or report
Publisher:
Headland Archaeology Ltd
Other Person/Org
Other Person/Org
Other people or organisations for this publication or report
Other Person/Org:
Historic Scotland (OASIS Reviewer)
Aberdeenshire, Angus, Moray and Aberdeen City (OASIS Reviewer)
Year of Publication
Year of Publication
The year the book, article or report was published
Year of Publication:
2008
Locations
Locations
Any locations covered by the publication or report. This is not the place the book or report was published.
Locations:
Site: Barry Buddon Training Area
Parish: BARRY
County: ANGUS
Country: Scotland
Grid Reference: 354000, 732000 (Easting, Northing)
Locations
Locations
Any locations covered by the publication or report. This is not the place the book or report was published.
Subjects / Periods:
Find: None Uncertain
Monus: Building Footings Post Medieval
Monus: Buildings Post Medieval
Monus: Firing Ranges Post Medieval
Monus: Magzine Post Medieval
Monus: Pillboxes Post Medieval
Monus: Rig And Furrow Post Medieval
Monus: Sea Wall Post Medieval
Monus: Trench Systems (Trench Warfare) Post Medieval
Identifiers
Identifiers
Identifiers associated with the publication. These might include DOIs, site codes, Monument Identifiers etc.
Identifiers:
OASIS Id: headland1-42879
OBIB: BBT07
Note
Note
Extra information on the publication or report.
Note:
Bound A4 report with a protected cover. Twin coloumns with colour illustrations.
Source
Source
Where the record has come from or which dataset it was orginally included in.
Source:
OASIS
Related resources
Related resources
Other resources which are relevant to this publication or report
Relations:
Created Date
Created Date
The date the record of the pubication was first entered
Created Date:
23 Nov 2016
 Location