Sutherland, Z., (2009). Archaeological Building Recording of Buildings 18, 19, 20 and 21,Chatterley Whitfield Colliery, Stoke-on-Trent, Staffordshire NGR SJ 8841 5323. Stoke-on-Trent Archaeology.

Title
Title
The title of the publication or report
Title:
Archaeological Building Recording of Buildings 18, 19, 20 and 21,Chatterley Whitfield Colliery, Stoke-on-Trent, Staffordshire NGR SJ 8841 5323
Series
Series
The series the publication or report is included in
Series:
Stoke-on-Trent Archaeology unpublished report series
Downloads
Downloads
Any files associated with the publication or report that can be downloaded from the ADS
Downloads:
stokeont2-56136_1.pdf (7 MB) : Download
DOI
DOI
The DOI (digital object identifier) for the publication or report.
DOI
https://doi.org/10.5284/1003196
Publication Type
Publication Type
The type of publication - report, monograph, journal article or chapter from a book
Publication Type:
Report (in Series)
Abstract
Abstract
The abstract describing the content of the publication or report
Abstract:
The Pit Head Baths complex at Chatterley Whitfield Colliery, Stoke-on-Trent was recorded in advance of refurbishment by Stoke-on-Trent Archaeology on behalf of Stoke-on-Trent City Council. The complex comprises buildings 18: Baths, 19: Canteen, 20: Medical Centre/ Deployment Wing and 21: Rescue Station, built between 1937 and 1976. The Baths and the Canteen were built by the Miners Welfare Commission in 1937 and are indicative of improvements in miner's welfare made from the early 1900s onwards. The Baths retained many of the original furniture and fittings specific to such a building. As the colliery grew, extra accommodation was added to the Canteen in the form of Building 21, built by 1951, and originally known as the feeding centre. Further changes were made following new standards introduced with nationalisation in 1947. In the mid-1950s Building 21 was altered to accommodate a dedicated rescue station, although little trace of this was identified within the structure. Building 21 was built in the mid-1960s as a Deployment Wing when a new, more efficient system of deployment was introduced. Following the closure of the colliery in 1976 the internal layout of the buildings was significantly altered. In particular the ground floor of the Baths was subdivided into office and workshop space for rental. The Chatterley Whitfield Mining Museum took over many of the buildings from 1978 until closure in 1991. Under their occupation Building 19 remained in use as the Canteen, however, Building 21 was partitioned to accommodate museum offices. More recently the buildings have been unoccupied with the exception of Building 20 which has been refurbished as a meeting place for the Friends of Chatterley Whitfield.
Author
Author
The authors of this publication or report
Author:
Z Sutherland
Publisher
Publisher
The publisher of the publication or report
Publisher:
Stoke-on-Trent Archaeology
Other Person/Org
Other Person/Org
Other people or organisations for this publication or report
Other Person/Org:
Historic England (OASIS Reviewer)
Stoke-on-Trent City HER (OASIS Reviewer)
Year of Publication
Year of Publication
The year the book, article or report was published
Year of Publication:
2009
Locations
Locations
Any locations covered by the publication or report. This is not the place the book or report was published.
Locations:
Site: Chatterley Whitfield Colliery
Parish: STOKE ON TRENT
District: STOKE ON TRENT
County: STAFFORDSHIRE
Country: England
Grid Reference: 388410, 353230 (Easting, Northing)
Locations
Locations
Any locations covered by the publication or report. This is not the place the book or report was published.
Subjects / Periods:
Find: None Uncertain
Monus: Pithead Baths 20th Century
Identifiers
Identifiers
Identifiers associated with the publication. These might include DOIs, site codes, Monument Identifiers etc.
Identifiers:
OASIS Id: stokeont2-56136
OBIB: Report No. 244
Note
Note
Extra information on the publication or report.
Note:
Spiral bound A4 document of 64 pages (single sided). Includes non-technical summary, introduction, methodology, historical background, descriptions of the buildings, discussion, conclusions, references, an appendix, figures and plates.
Source
Source
Where the record has come from or which dataset it was orginally included in.
Source:
OASIS
Related resources
Related resources
Other resources which are relevant to this publication or report
Relations:
Created Date
Created Date
The date the record of the pubication was first entered
Created Date:
23 Nov 2016
 Location