Bain, K., (2008). Results of Archaeological Evaluation at Shrub Hill Transport Depot, Edinburgh. Headland Archaeology Ltd.

Title
Title
The title of the publication or report
Title:
Results of Archaeological Evaluation at Shrub Hill Transport Depot, Edinburgh
Series
Series
The series the publication or report is included in
Series:
Headland Archaeology Ltd unpublished report series
Downloads
Downloads
Any files associated with the publication or report that can be downloaded from the ADS
Downloads:
headland1-45057_1.pdf (7 MB) : Download
DOI
DOI
The DOI (digital object identifier) for the publication or report.
DOI
https://doi.org/10.5284/1006095
Publication Type
Publication Type
The type of publication - report, monograph, journal article or chapter from a book
Publication Type:
Report (in Series)
Abstract
Abstract
The abstract describing the content of the publication or report
Abstract:
A total of 11 evaluation trenches were excavated at the site of the former Shrub Hill Transport Depot, Edinburgh, in advance of the redevelopment of the site. The first significant historical reference to the development site was as the possible site of public executions from the 16th to the 17th century. In the 17th century the 'Shrub Hill was extensively quarried for mortar sand in the New Town. By the later 18th century, however, the site was bought by the Maxwells of Monreith who erected Shrub House, a small country house and gardens, in around 1800. Shrub House and its gardens were gradually encroached upon by subsequent developments including that of the Edinburgh Street Tramways stables and workshops. Shrub House, was demolished in the 1960's to be replaced by offices and sheds for East Lothian Transport. The earliest deposit identified consisted of galcial sands to the rear of the site, toward the front of the site this was overlain by windblown sands common to the area. A dramatic reduction in level at the rear of the site was thought to be the result of the 17th century quarrying alluded to in the documentary sources. No trace of Shrub House could be identified, the only pre-20th century structural remains were truncated sandstone walls, as depicted on the 1877 Ordnance Survey map of the site. No futher features or deposits of archaeological significance were identifed during the evaluation.
Author
Author
The authors of this publication or report
Author:
K Bain
Publisher
Publisher
The publisher of the publication or report
Publisher:
Headland Archaeology Ltd
Other Person/Org
Other Person/Org
Other people or organisations for this publication or report
Other Person/Org:
Historic Scotland (OASIS Reviewer)
City of Edinburgh Archaeology Service (OASIS Reviewer)
Year of Publication
Year of Publication
The year the book, article or report was published
Year of Publication:
2008
Locations
Locations
Any locations covered by the publication or report. This is not the place the book or report was published.
Locations:
Site: Shrub Hill Transport Depot, shrub Hill, Edinburgh
Parish: EDINBURGH
County: EDINBURGH, CITY OF
Country: Scotland
Grid Reference: 326300, 675150 (Easting, Northing)
Locations
Locations
Any locations covered by the publication or report. This is not the place the book or report was published.
Subjects / Periods:
Find: None Uncertain
Monus: Tram Depot Post Medieval
Identifiers
Identifiers
Identifiers associated with the publication. These might include DOIs, site codes, Monument Identifiers etc.
Identifiers:
OASIS Id: headland1-45057
Note
Note
Extra information on the publication or report.
Note:
Unpublished Client Report (A4)
Source
Source
Where the record has come from or which dataset it was orginally included in.
Source:
OASIS
Related resources
Related resources
Other resources which are relevant to this publication or report
Relations:
Created Date
Created Date
The date the record of the pubication was first entered
Created Date:
23 Nov 2016
 Location