n.a., (1910). Proceedings of the Society of Antiquaries of Scotland 45. Edinburgh: Society of Antiquaries of Scotland. https://doi.org/10.5284/1000184.

The title of the publication or report
Proceedings of the Society of Antiquaries of Scotland 45
The series the publication or report is included in
Proceedings of the Society of Antiquaries of Scotland
Volume number and part
The number of pages in the publication or report
Number of Pages:
Any files associated with the publication or report that can be downloaded from the ADS
The DOI (digital object identifier) for the publication or report.
Publication Type
Publication Type
The type of publication - report, monograph, journal article or chapter from a book
Publication Type:
The publisher of the publication or report
Society of Antiquaries of Scotland
Year of Publication
Year of Publication
The year the book, article or report was published
Year of Publication:
Where the record has come from or which dataset it was orginally included in.
ADS Archive
Related resources
Related resources
Other resources which are relavant to this publication or report
Created Date
Created Date
The date the record of the pubication was first entered
Created Date:
15 Nov 2013
Article Title Sort Order Both Arrows Access Type Author / Editor Page
Start/End Sort Order Up Arrow
1 - 17
Alexander O Curle
18 - 26
In Sutherland hut circles exist for the most part by the sides of the straths forming the natural highways into the interior, by the shores of the lochs, and on the slopes of the hills, often at an elevation of some 500 to 600 feet. In several instances, an earth house, or underground gallery, forms a part of the plan. The hut circle at Kinbrace is oval in plan. Excavation revealed a stone paved floor, a facing of large stones on the inner face of the bank and the entrance to an earth house which was too dangerous to investigate. A few sherds of pottery and part of a shale armlet were found. At Askaig there is a group of features consisting of one or two hut circles and about a dozen mounds. The feature examined comprised two circles approximately concentric, the one some 5 feet within the other, but connected for a distance of about 15 feet on either side of the entrance passage by a stony bank or rubble wall. The entrance was entirely blocked by stones. No artefacts were recovered
Joseph Anderson
27 - 46
The hoard was found in a peat moss. Two pieces of very thin bronze, greatly decayed, may indicate that the objects were contained in a bowl or vessel of thin beaten bronze of considerable capacity. One piece is part of the lip, and the other shows the turning in of the bottom of a vessel that may have been large enough for the purpose. The hoard consisted of two socketed axes of different sizes, a socketed gouge, a spearhead with rivet-holes in the socket, a tanged chisel with stopridge\r\nand expanding curvilinear cutting edge; a socketed hammer, three thin oval tanged blades of the variety now generally described as razors'”all of bronze; a doubly conical bead of thin beaten gold, and two beads of amber and one of greenish\r\nglass with faint white spots. There were also two whetstones, or polishing stones, one of fine sharp sandstone and the other of a hard, close-grained, dark-coloured micaceous claystone with planed edges and its broad face polished by use. All the items are described in detail and illustrated.
Frederick R Coles
46 - 116
The stone circles are described in a sequence from west to east in six groups: Comrie, Durnchan, Crieff, Fowlis Wester, Glen Almond and west of Perth. A total of forty seven sites, six of which are newly discovered, are presented in the gazetteer. All the circles are small.
Alan Reid
117 - 152
Several interesting fragments of the pre-Reformation church are incorporated in the fabric which was erected 1799-1800. The evidence for the form of the earlier church is considered and details of surviving post-Reformation memorials and grave stones are presented along with many illustrations. An incised cross slab of late fifteenth or early sixteenth century is thought to be the earliest surviving monument.
J G Callander
158 - 181
A broken pottery vessels found at Culbin Sands contained grains of carbonised wheat with a hammer-stone or grain pounder a short distance away. The artefacts lay on an old ground surface which had largely blown away. A flint scraper, some charred wood and two small fragments of burnt bone were also recovered. The grain had been threshed, as no ears of grain were seen. The sherds from a second vessel were embedded in a sandy matrix along with oyster, cockle, and periwinkle shells, and the bones of animals and birds, some of the animal bones being calcined. The date of the vessels is uncertain and they could be Bronze Age or Iron Age. A brief survey of earlier discoveries is presented.
James Edward Cree
181 - 186
A report on the excavation of a newly discovered hut circle. The walls were composed of stones laid on sandy soil and survived to a height of one and a half feet. The thickness of the wall was irregular. Two doorways and a stone floor were revealed. A small paved passageway led up to one of the doors. Outside the wall of the hut-circle, and to the left of the entrance, a small chamber completely walled in was found. A few animal bones, shells, two iron objects and a bone pin were recovered during the excavation.
John Stirton
186 - 197
The only surviving part of the old church is known as the mortuary chapel. The original church was demolished in 1792 when the new church was built. Surviving documentary references are presented and the new church is described. Relics belonging to the kirk of Glamis include four communion cups of silver, a pulpit bible, a carved oak box, a mort cloth of black velvet and a fragment of a Celtic cross.
Fred T Macleod)
198 - 219
The Chapel Yard of Inverness is one of three old burying-grounds which are occasionally still used for burial. Documentary references to the old churches of Inverness are considered as is the likely date of the Chapel Yard. The first actual reference by name to the Parish Church of Inverness is in a charter by Alexander in 1240 in which a grant of land is given to the order of Black Friars. The relationship of minor chapels, chaplaincies and alterages to the churches is discussed. The earliest surviving memorial in the burial ground is a recumbent slab which bears the date 1604. There are numerous stones of early eighteenth-century\r\nwork bearing the well-known symbols of the skull, cross-bones, crossspades, coffin, hour-glass, and bell; the not uncommon arrangement of a central heart flanked by initials and surmounted by a date; a few trade symbols such as the tailor's goose and scissors and the smith's hammer and anvil; a crown with crossed sword and scabbard; crude spelling and lettering, and the invariable legend memento mori. There are also numerous examples of heraldic work. Kilmun is situated on the north shore of the Holy Loch and was the burial place of the Argyll family. Little can be said of the stones other than the fact that they display 'faked ' heraldic designs.
D Hay Fleming
225 - 249
The manuscript volume has 172 surviving leaves and is bound in leather. The names of several owners occur in different parts of the book. By far the greater part of the volume is filled with copies of covenanting sermons, letters, and dying testimonies. It is argued that they were copied in the first half of the eighteenth century or earlier. Three previously unpublished testimonies and two letters are reproduced in full.
Charles B Boog Watson
250 - 264
In November 1780 a meeting was called at which the formation of the society was proposed, and from which we may date its existence. A royal charter was obtained in 1782, whereby the reigning monarch is declared to be the patron of the Society. The first meeting at the house was held in April 1781. A history of the house and its depiction on early maps is presented.
Frederick R Coles
265 - 301
The Gilmerton Cave was traditionally believed to be created in 1725 by a blacksmith, George Paterson. It consists of many chambers and passageways with a table and chairs, also hewn out of the rock. The cave is described in detail and there are many illustrations. The Gorton Cave, popularly called Wallace's Cave, is less elaborate with three chambers and an entranceway. At Hawthornden there is an upper and lower cave, both hewn out of the steep rock face. Dovecots are housed in the lower cave. The cave at Newbattle has four distinct spaces and two passageways. Four other caves are briefly described and a list of all known caves appears as an appendix.
Andrew Thomson
302 - 308
Recumbent slabs or grave-covers, sculptured or incised with crosses of various forms, and other designs, were a common style of sepulchral monument in Scotland from the twelfth and thirteenth centuries till the period of the Reformation. Usually the plain form of incised cross has all its members rectangular in outline, but there is another form in which the extremities of the arms and summit are not rectangular, but cut off obliquely. These are the subject of the article. Several have been found in the priory of Coldingham. Wherever it is possible to fix a date for such crosses it may presumably be given as that of the sixteenth century. Other examples are known from Pluscardyn, Greenlaw, Criech, Balmerino and Tranent.
Thomas Wallace
309 - 314
The oldest stone at Glenconvinth shows a rider on horseback, sculptured in low relief\r\nwithin a rectangular border. A rare slab of the thirteenth and fourteenth centuries, and a third ornnate recumbent slab with a central cross, having a circular head at either end of the shaft, the space on one side of the shaft being filled by a scrollwork pattern, and on the other by a sword, a comb and shears, and a number of small circular rosettes are also described along with two cup-marked stones. At Kirkhill a recumbent slab has a cross sculptured in low relief, with a wheel-head ornamented with a geometric pattern of incuse triangles, the shaft rising from a calvary base of four steps. In the space on one side of the shaft, about a third of its length from the top, is a symbol resembling a pair of shears, and on the other side a book. Three seventeenth century stones are also described.
Thomas Wallace
318 - 333
The roads followed pretty much the old tracks were commenced in 1725 and carried on till 1814. The width of the first roads was 16 feet, and as they were for military\r\npurposes they proceeded in as straight a line as possible, to shorten the journey. The scheme was begun by General Wade. he was also responsible for building a galley to be employed in conveying troops, etc., on Loch Ness. Notes are provided on the road from Perth to Inverness, Perth to Fort George, Inverness to Fort William, Fort George to Failie Bridge, Aberdeen to Inverness, Fort Augustus to Bernera in Glenelg, Ruthven to Fort Augustus, and Stirling to Crieff. Forts or castles that were used\r\nin connection with the roads and military operations included Ruthven Castle, Corgarff Castle, Fort William, Fort Augustus, and Fort George.
James Ritchie
333 - 353
In some of the old churchyards in Aberdeenshire there are to be seen stones of small size on which are inscribed crosses of somewhat unusual shape and archaic design. They are few in number and generally seen as insignificant. Four examples from Dyce, four from St Medan's churchyard, two of the latter being recumbent, two from Inverurie, two from Monymusk, one from Tullich and one from Logie coldstone are described.
F O Blundell
353 - 366
The ruins of the church are described and include a recess with two stones built into it. One of these has a carving of the MacDonald arms and the date 1671. The six sculptured stones, which now all lie within the walls of the church, were probably removed there for greater safety, though they are mentioned as " within the chapel" as early as 1700. Within the chapel are also preserved the ancient baptismal font, and a smaller stone, probably used for holy water. Investigation of the artificial island in Loch nan Eala revealed a structure of oak and birch up to four feet in thickness. Sculptured slabs at Kilchoan include a stone cross. At the head of the cross on the one side is a horse and rider, and on the other side a galley. A further two slabs are decorated, one by a sword and a hunting scene, the other by a scroll down one side, foliated decoration down the other, and a pair of shears.
Ederton Beck
371 - 385
There are some fifteenth-century documents in the Vatican archives which show that the hospital was connected with the see of Bethlehem, and that it was served by an order of canons regular whose presence in Scotland has hitherto escaped notice. The see of Bethlehem had considerable possessions but these were mostly in Europe. In a bull of 1266 under Scotland there are two entries, '” the church of St Germains in the diocese of St Andrews, and the oratory of New Bethlehem in London. St Germains was not a parish and it is argued that the reference should be to hospital rather than church. In the middle of the thirteenth century the Bethlehemite hospitallers were established in London and at St Germains. The order was one of canons regular of St Augustine.
C G Cash
386 - 397
Excavation of the stone circle at Tegarmuchd revealed some stones which had fallen including one with cup marks. A number of cup-marked boulders in the area are described along with a second stone circle at Shian. A yett is a Scottish type of interpenetrating iron bar gate. Examples from the castles of Grantully, Stirling and Edinburgh are described.
Donald Macrae
398 - 402
A slab at Edderton has an incised, equal-armed cross with trefoil ends, and, below it, a long sword with recurved guards, pointed trefoil pommel, and blunt point. In the fourth quadrant of the cross there is a lion rampant, langued. The stone has evidently been a palimpsest, used and lettered more than once, for initials of later occupants of the grave have been cut through part of the cross and the lion. The stone is probably originally of the thirteenth or fourteenth century. A lintel now in the billiard-room of Balnagown Castle, but formerly in the mansion-house of Daan, in the Parish of Edderton has three circles, each 16 inches in diameter, and at each end of the stone is a bearded human face carved inside a semicircle enclosed within a moulding. Between the middle circle and the others are the initials A and M and M and F. Just above the latter, and beginning after the crescent, is the motto " SOLI DEO GLO-RIA," with the date 1680. The first and third circular panels have coats of arms with mottoes. In the middle panel is a man in what appears to be a Geneva\r\ncloak, and with a small skull-cap on his head. He holds in his hands a book, whereon is written, " Fear God in hairt as ye may be bad." Surrounding the figure is the motto " SEEVIRE DEO EST REGNAEE," and the initials M H M E R. The third stone is a lintel in Edderton House, inscribed with initials at different dates and a text from Scripture. A standing stone with an incised cross on one face survives at Tombreck.
Thomas Reid
403 - 416
The notes on the life of William Lithgow, popularly known as " Lugless Willie," are chiefly derived from fresh material available through the publication of the Records and Charters of the Burgh of Lanark, 1150-1722; from an examination of the will of Lithgow's mother, dated 1603; and from notices regarding the family of Lithgows at Boathaugh, Lanark, contained in the MS. minutes of the Kirk-Session of Lanark. He acquired celebrity through the publication of the narrative of his travels in 1632, and by reason of the tortures inflicted on him by the Spanish Inquisition. The circumstances attending the cutting off of his ears are surrounded with considerable mystery.
Alexander Hutcheson
D Hay Fleming
420 - 427
A monumental slab in memory of Ingram of Kettins, built into one of the interior walls, believed to furnish the earliest stone inscription in the Scottish vernacular and a fragment of a Celtic cross slab which had been utilised as a building stone in the outside of the south wall of the church are reported on. Both stones have been moved during church repairs. The cross slab is now found to have been sculptured on both sides. The reverse shows a fragment of the well-known figure of the beast with the long jaws and scroll feet'”the " elephant " of these sculptures. The panel enclosing this figure is bordered by a double enrichment of fret pattern, the outer one in rectangular order. This particular fret is rare in Scotland. A third stone which was part of an aumbry is also now displayed. It has much in common with the style of Ingram's monument.
John M Corrie
428 - 434
The stone cist was damaged and partly emptied by workmen during road construction. It was within a large circular cairn. The cist lies almost exactly north and south. Its position is not in the centre of the cairn, but nearly midway between the centre and the line of circumference. It is constructed of four whinstone slabs inserted vertically into the subsoil. Artefacts include a flint knife, and traces of charcoal and comminuted bone. A few pieces of clay bear the distinct impression of finger prints.
Donald McKinlay
434 - 436
A cinerary urn containing cremated human bone was found on the west side of the cairn. Two stone-built cists were also revealed. One contained cremated human bone and the second was empty.
P M C Kermode
437 - 450
A brief account of the previously published Latin and Ogam inscriptions on the Isle of Man is accompanied by illustrations. The new discovery from Knoc y doonee, has the first example of a bilingual inscription in Ogam and in Roman capitals from the island. It is a large pillar of clay slate. The fact of the pillar having its edges dressed shows that this cannot be a monument of the earliest period; but the inflexions in the Celtic inscription and the plain capitals and whole character of the Latin one, are, with the forms of the names, in keeping with the idea that it may belong to the first half of the sixth century.
Robert Scott-Moncrieff
451 - 487
The accounts are amongst the earliest, if not the earliest, detailed tradesmen's accounts which survive. They are for clothing materials supplied to the Earl of Angus and his family during the years 1618, 1627, and 1628. The accounts are reproduced in full.
Alan Reid
488 - 550
St Andrews, and particularly its cathedral graveyard, is extremely rich in the variety and value of its monumental remains. It presents examples of nearly every style of tombstone, and of many original forms of symbolism. Earlier published accounts are expanded upon and new discoveries are described. Many of the stones are now in the Cathedral Museum. In addition to more than fifty table stones there is an immense number of Celtic, mediaeval, and later details gathered from different quarters of the city. Mortsafes and coffin guards are also included.
Francis C Eeles
551 - 569
Nothing seems to be known of the early history of the church, and the dedication is at\r\npresent unknown. The church is of considerable historic interest for its association with the victory over the English at Otterburn in the summer of 1388. A summary account of the structural and other remains is presented with plans, elevations and architectural details. This includes a font without a drain and a feature known as a super-altar of a type which is rare in Scotland. Two cross slabs were also recovered.
George Macdonald
569 - 571
The coins had been concealed in a wooden " brose-cap," or bowl. A total of 2067 coins were recovered including Scottish long cross pennies, pennies of Edward I and II, foreign sterling, a half penny of Edward I and a farthing of Edward I or II. One of the Alexander III pennies was very curious. It had been a plated piece, and was represented only by the thin skin of silver which had framed the reverse, and which survived virtually uninjured. The hoard was deposited around 1320 AD.
573 - 591