n.a., (1921). Proceedings of the Society of Antiquaries of Scotland 56. Edinburgh: Society of Antiquaries of Scotland. https://doi.org/10.5284/1000284.

The title of the publication or report
Proceedings of the Society of Antiquaries of Scotland 56
The series the publication or report is included in
Proceedings of the Society of Antiquaries of Scotland
Volume number and part
The number of pages in the publication or report
Number of Pages:
Any files associated with the publication or report that can be downloaded from the ADS
The DOI (digital object identifier) for the publication or report.
Publication Type
Publication Type
The type of publication - report, monograph, journal article or chapter from a book
Publication Type:
The publisher of the publication or report
Society of Antiquaries of Scotland
Year of Publication
Year of Publication
The year the book, article or report was published
Year of Publication:
Where the record has come from or which dataset it was orginally included in.
ADS Archive
Related resources
Related resources
Other resources which are relavant to this publication or report
Created Date
Created Date
The date the record of the pubication was first entered
Created Date:
02 Oct 2013
Article Title Sort Order Both Arrows Access Type Author / Editor Page
Start/End Sort Order Up Arrow
1 - 26
J G Callander
27 - 33
A grave found in the churchyard at Dunbar was lined with red sandstone slabs. It was aligned west-east and contained a poorly preserved extended skeleton accompanied by an earthenware pot. This practice is unusual but not unknown in Christian graves. Three short cists were discovered by workmen. Only one could be examined and it contained a crouched skeleton.
John H Dixon
34 - 43
Cup-marked stones at a variety of sites are described. The stone at Bailandun is partly embedded in a burial mound. At Balnabeggan the stone has 59 cups, some of which are connected by grooves. Stones from Glen Brerachan and Balvaran which were previously reported are illustrated here. A stone known as the Priest's Basin has a 'cup' measuring 2 feet in width and is thought to have an Early Christian origin.
R S G Anderson
44 - 45
The carving consists of a returning spiral and can be paralleled by a stone at North Balfern, near Kirkinner.
Margaret A Murray
46 - 60
Many objections have been raised as to the value of the evidence given by witches. It is argued that a questionary was drawn up by the inquisitors and used by all witch-hunters, hence the similarity in the accounts. Records of two trials are presented in full: Alexander Hamilton in Edinburgh, 1630 and Lillias Adie in Torryburn, 1704.
Mungo Buchanan
65 - 66
The crude cist comprised walls of rough unhewn sandstone blocks (not slabs) and boulders and a cover slab. It contained cremated human bone identified as an adult and a flint knife.
John Nicolson
66 - 67
A slab lined grave was located inside the doorway in the western gable of the chapel. The slab which formed the end of the grave was part of a cross-slab of yellow sandstone bearing a plain incised cross with hollows at the intersections of the arms and the shaft. The shaft tapered slightly towards the base. The whole design was enclosed within a rectangular panel. The inside lintel of the door of the chapel and two other long, narrow stones formed the cover of the grave.
Hugh Marwick
67 - 71
The stone was built into the wall of the ruined chapel so that the inscription could not be seen until the stone was moved. Part of the inscription was transcribed as 'Philippus carved (these) runes', the remainder was indistinct. It is suggested that there are two separate inscriptions which were carved at different times.
Albert Van de Put
72 - 110
The Monypennys of Ardwenny held lands in the duchy of Berry in France from the mid-fifteenth to the mid-sixteenth century. The manuscript is a thick tome with numerous illuminations. It was produced by the school of Bourges in the early 16th century and one its main illuminators was almost certainly Jacquelin de Molisson. The contents of the breviary are presented in detail.
Francis C Eeles
111 - 117
Ludovic Maclellan Mann
118 - 126
The sculpturings of the island are (1) prehistoric carvings of such figures as cups and ovals on the living rock-surface and on a standing-stone; (2) prehistoric carvings of large, deep, mostly oval cavities on the shore rocks; and (3) Early Christian carvings on slabs. The latter include cruciform figures. An account of all the known examples on the island is presented.
Archibald Fairbairn
126 - 133
A circular cairn at Linburn Plantation covered a central circle of stones around a pit containing burnt bone, charcoal and two flint knives. There was evidence of in situ burning. Four round cairns in the parish of Muirkirk were examined. Only one had a central cist. Pottery, charcoal and a flint flake were recovered. An isolated deposit of burnt bone may have been associated with a cinerary urn found there in 1899.
W D Simpson
134 - 163
The architectural history of Huntly Castle, which was the seat of the Gordon family, is complex. The chief feature is the great oblong keep, about 76 feet in length and 36 in breadth; having a large round tower, 38 feet in diameter, attached to its south-west corner, and, diagonally opposite to this, another tower, also round but far smaller and slighter. Reference is made to three drawings of 1799 which provide detail now lost. The castle began life as a 13th-century motte and bailey. The castle was wrecked after the battle of Corrichie in 1562 and restored in 1569. The final destruction took place in 1752.
Symington Grieve
164 - 168
A knife-shaped stone implement was found in a shell midden along with fish bones and scale, charcoal and fire-cracked stones. It is suggested that it functioned as a scraper, and was used to remove cooked fish skins.
J W Paterson
172 - 183
A complete survey of the broch and its outbuildings was carried out while essential repairs took place. It became apparent that there were some errors in the original plans produced in the 19th century. The broch survives to a height of 41 feet. Detailed plans and elevations are presented.
John Hewat Craw
184 - 188
A description of six grave slabs found before 1857 is reproduced along with the account of further stones made in the 18th century. One of these commemorated a Johanna Bullock. A coped grave-cover was found in the churchyard at Ancrum.
James Edward Cree
Alexander O Curle
189 - 259
Further excavation recovered evidence of Neolithic and early Bronze Age activity in the form of stone and flint artefacts, followed by late Bronze Age and early Iron Age artefacts including socketed axes, terrets, glass beads, clay moulds and pins. There appears to have been a hiatus until the main occupation which spans the end of the 1st century to the early 5th century AD. Occasional levelling of the ground has led to the mixing of artefacts of different dates. Stone-built structures and hearths were identified. Numerous artefacts are reported on and include spindle whorls, pottery, glass and jet armlets, glass beads, slingstones, coins, gaming pieces, clay moulds and brooches. The site is identified as a walled town or oppidum.
L'AbbĂȘ Henri Breuil
261 - 281
The appearance of the Campbeltown tools, taken as a whole, is that of a poor upper palaeolithic series, chiefly consisting of flakes showing a Magdalenian aspect. These flakes were detached from nuclei, the angles of which are sometimes battered, many show no re-working, but numerous notches resulting from use; a small number are re-worked into end scrapers; and one shows a small point in the centre of its semicircular end. The marine 25-30-foot terrace on which the tools were found corresponds also to the Azilian caves at Oban. The difference in period between\r\nthe two groups cannot, then, be very considerable. What characterises nearly all the flints gathered from the Azilian kitchen-middens and contemporary littoral caves of Scotland is that they are not a normal outfit of tools, but with the residue of tools used to such a degree that they were no longer capable of further service. Flint being scarce, the smallest fragments had been used until they were almost completely destroyed. Flakers made of stone, bone and deer-horn were also present in the Azilian deposits of Scotland. The theory that they were used for detaching the edible parts of limpets from their shells is discounted. Bone harpoons from a variety of deposits are also considered.
R W Reid
282 - 287
The trap was found in peat and comprises a body made of alder, a movable flap or door made of birch, a bow and two pegs made of willow. With the exception of a horn of Bos Longifrons found 300 feet away no other artefacts were found. The construction is practically identical with twelve univalvular wooden traps found in Ireland and Wales.
Ian A Richmond
288 - 301
A revision of the Ptolemaic geography of Scotland based on new archaeological discoveries. In Ptolemy's map there is an eastern coast-line which for all its\r\nfaults is unmistakably clear from the Tweed as far as the Moray Firth. Also it may be noted that among the land-stations, although for the most part their positions seem unlike anything that we know of the topography of Roman Scotland, there would appear to be a very definite scheme of plotting out.
H L Norton Traill
301 - 318
It is argued that the use of the armorial bearings by various members of the Scollay family was an example of the misappropriation by a native Orkney family of a Scottish\r\ncoat of arms, in this case that of the Kinnaird family. Other examples are presented and include the Banks family who appear to have misappropriated the arms of the Marjoribanks.
George MacDonald
321 - 324
An earthenware vessel contained a hoard of coins which had been wrapped in textile. A total of 244 coins comprised Scottish gold and silver with some of English silver.
D Hay Fleming
325 - 350
The accounts of the college for the period in question are presented in detail.
J G Callander
351 - 364
The Auchnacree hoard of bronze objects consisted of two flat axes, the cutting half of another, two knives and an armlet. At Quoykea two bronze implements, a socketed knife and a razor were recovered. Two flat bronze axes were found in Nairnshire. The Duddingston hoard discovered in 1778 was described as follows: A quantity of Roman arms consisting of 23 pieces of the heads of the hasta and jaculum; 20 pieces of the blades, and nine of the handles of the gladius and pugio; a ring three inches in diameter, fastened to the end of a staple; and a mass of different pieces of these arms, run together by fire, all of brass; sculls and other human bones, together with the horns of animals of the deer and elk species, dragged out of the middle of a bed of shell marie at the bottom of his loch of Duddingston." Many of the items are now lost and the remaining objects comprise the ring of a cauldron, thirty-two fragments of swords, the point of a rapier blade, the larger part of a small dagger or knife and fragments of fourteen spear-heads.
J G Callander
364 - 365
A stone-built short cist with large cover slab contained a Food Vessel. There were no human remains or other artefacts.
366 - 399