n.a., (1931). Proceedings of the Society of Antiquaries of Scotland 66. Edinburgh: Society of Antiquaries of Scotland. https://doi.org/10.5284/1000184.

Title
Title
The title of the publication or report
Title:
Proceedings of the Society of Antiquaries of Scotland 66
Series
Series
The series the publication or report is included in
Series:
Proceedings of the Society of Antiquaries of Scotland
Volume
Volume
Volume number and part
Volume:
66
Pages
Pages
The number of pages in the publication or report
Number of Pages:
471
Downloads
Downloads
Any files associated with the publication or report that can be downloaded from the ADS
Downloads:
DOI
DOI
The DOI (digital object identifier) for the publication or report.
DOI
https://doi.org/10.5284/1000184
Publication Type
Publication Type
The type of publication - report, monograph, journal article or chapter from a book
Publication Type:
Journal
Publisher
Publisher
The publisher of the publication or report
Publisher:
Society of Antiquaries of Scotland
Year of Publication
Year of Publication
The year the book, article or report was published
Year of Publication:
1931
Source
Source
Where the record has come from or which dataset it was orginally included in.
Source:
ADS Archive
Related resources
Related resources
Other resources which are relevant to this publication or report
Relations:
Created Date
Created Date
The date the record of the pubication was first entered
Created Date:
15 Jul 2013
Article Title Sort Order Both Arrows Access Type Author / Editor Page
Start/End Sort Order Up Arrow
Abstract
1 - 32
Erskine Beveridge
J G Callander
32 - 66
Report on the excavation of two subterranean dwellings. The main structure at Garry lochdrach measured 25 feet in diameter and was enclosed by a substantial wall. It contained a series of seven radial piers or divisional walls spaced at fairly regular intervals around a central chamber filled by peat ash. The roof was comprised of stone slabs. A small circular structure was located immediately to the north. The earth-house at Bac Mhic Connain consisted of two circular chambers, with two smaller quadrangular compartments between them, while to the north-east and south-east of the eastern one were the remains of buildings of indefinite character. Find included pottery, worked bone, iron and many worked stone objects. An Ogham inscription was identified on a bone knife handle and evidence of metalworking was recovered.
J T Gordon
67 - 68
A short cist contained a very fragmented human skeleton, a Food Vessel and a flint scraper. A second cist nearby contained only a flint knife.
John M Corrie
69 - 85
A stone cist comprising two compartments contained both burnt and unburnt bone in its lower storey, with a decayed skeleton and two steatite bowls in its upper. No mound survived. Notes on miscellaneous objects from Shetland including axes, adzes, 'Shetland knives', flint arrowheads, a soapstone dish, a club-like implement and a pennanular bronze brooch. A Viking brooch from Skaill Bay was part of a hoard discovered in 1858.
W D Simpson
86 - 101
An account of the medieval parish of Essie and its environs including the castle of Lesmoir and Essie Church. Notes on Auchindoir relate to Craig Castle and the old Church of Auchindoir.
W P Westell
105 - 113
A summary account of seven seasons of excavation at Baldock. A total of 320 grave groups were identified along with objects from at least 100 others. Both cremation and inhumation burials were found. Objects were mainly pottery vessels with some of glass, bronze casket fittings and coins. Descriptions of selected grave groups are presented.
Alexander O Curle
113 - 128
An account of the excavation of a substantial stone-built structure comprising four chambers with at least two phases of occupation. Notable finds included clay moulds for casting bronze objects.
A D Lacaille
128 - 135
An account of a stone-built burial enclosure associated with the Stewarts of Inverhadden thought to stand on the site of the ancient chapel. A carved stone and a recess which once held a holy water stoup are discussed in some detail.
L D Dunbar
136 - 137
A byke was a method of storing corn which was preserved in stacks in the shape of beehives thatched in a circular shape. The last recorded example dates from 1910.
Henry F Kerr
140 - 145
An interpretation of a fascimile of an original drawing which was probably meant to illustrate the scene of the murder of Lord Darnley in 1567.
Edna Hardwicke Rideout
146 - 151
A condition survey of the principal antiquities on the island including standing stones, chapel sites and fort or settlement sites.
V G Childe
152 - 183
Excavation of the West Fort focussed on the rubble and earth defences, the entrance and two of the ten visible hut circles. The defences of the East Fort were also examined.
Warrick L Scott
183 - 213
Detailed report on excavation of a well preserved chambered cairn, notable for its inaccessible location. Neolithic and Beaker phases were clearly distinguished and both contained pottery and small quantities of degraded human bone. Worked flint was also present in the Neolithic phase.
George MacDonald
219 - 276
Further excavation at Old Kilpatrick focussed on its relationship to the Antonine Wall, further investigation of the Military Way and the north-west corner of the fort. Previous work is re-assessed in the light of the results. Excavation of the rampart at Croy Hill provided inconclusive results although the discovery of a stone-built underground chamber with steps down to it is considered in detail. The most remarkable find was two fragments of a sculptured relief of the Syrian god, Jupiter Dolichenus with a partial inscription.
James Curle
277 - 397
The inventory records the occurrence of Roman finds on ninety-six sites in Scotland. Most are provincial and derive from Gaul, the Rhineland, or Britain. They are widely distributed over the country, though, as might be expected, the more important finds come from the area south of the Antonine Wall.
J G Callander
401 - 408
An account of the discovery of a number of food vessels and cinerary urns, mostly associated with stone-built cists from a variety of locations.
J Jeffery Waddell
409 - 412
Three early Christian carved stones were discovered during restoration work at the church of Fowlis Wester, Crieff, Perthshire. The best preserved of the three is elaborately carved with symbols including a cross, an animal and a possible sword. A carved stone discovered in the parish manse garden on the island of Millport, Cumbrae, Buteshire has among other symbols, interlacing strands forming a cross.
G Aird Sim
413 - 415
An account of a linen Covenanters' flag dated to 1689 and bearing a variety of inscriptions and designs.
V G Childe
415 - 420
An account of the identification of two chambered cairns, a long cist with a semi-circular facade near Kilfinan and a second much denuded example at Carn Ban.
Francis C Eeles
426 - 441
A discussion which includes a complete transcript of all the entries in the Psalter.
W J Watson
442 - 445
The inscription which includes both Latin and Gaelic is linked to a 15th century individual.
James Hewat Craw
445 - 450
James Ritchie
450
451 - 479