Issue: Proceedings of the Society of Antiquaries of Scotland 103

Publication Type:
Title: Proceedings of the Society of Antiquaries of Scotland 103
Year of Publication: 1970
Volume: 103
Number of Pages: 0
Note: Date Of Issue From: 1974
Journal Article Title Sort Order Both Arrows Access Type   Author / Editor   Page
 Start/End Sort Order Up Arrow
Abstract
John Mercer
1 - 32
NR 644873. A seasonal camping site was represented by a layer of occupation material on a terrace above Lussa River; excavation yielded insects, seeds, charcoal, red ochre, pumice, a human hair and 1500 flint and quartz artefacts. Chisels and microliths predominate amongst a tool assemblage which is seen as the last of three microlithic phases in N Jura; radiocarbon dates fall in third millennium bc. The relationship between sites on Jura and Oronsay is discussed and doubt is thrown on the cultural status of the "Obanian". AR See also author's note on new 14C dates from Jura, Antiquity, 48, 1974, 65-6.
Ronald W B Morris
33 - 56
Susan M Pearce
57 - 64
NJ 482953. A hoard of about 60 bronzes was found in a cairn in 1843 and subsequently lost until 16 objects reappeared in 1971. Four socketed axes, six penannular armlets, a semi-tubular ring, two sets of triple-rings, a ring and two unique cast bronze cups are described and discussed in terms of their strong Covesea connections. A R
Horace Fairhurst
David B B Taylor
65 - 99
[NC 989194]. The Kilphedir settlement is typical of a common Sutherland class of hut-circles associated with clearance cairns and areas of arable. Five stone and timber round-houses were occupied c 500 BC on radiocarbon and pollen evidence, immediately prior to the local formation of blanket peat. The site was re-occupied perhaps in later 2nd century BC, when one of the old hut-circles was rebuilt on a more massive scale. Detailed soil and peat profiles are appended. A R
J N Graham Ritchie
100 - 112
NM 824266. Illustrated catalogue and discussion of objects found during 19th-century excavations in a midden at Dùn an Fheurain and in a dun at Leccamore on Luing (NM 750107). The material from Dùn an Fheurain indicates occupation in the first two centuries AD (samian, ring-headed pin, spiral finger-ring) and in the mid and later first millennium AD (bone pins and comb, bone potter's stamp). A perforated antler plaque may belong to the wrest-plank of a lyre. A R
Anne S Robertson
113 - 168
Seventh list of Roman and Greek coins found in Scotland on Roman and native sites, in hoards or as isolated finds. The information contained in all seven lists is amalgamated in tables showing provenance, emperor and metal, and the implications of the chronological distribution of these coins are discussed. Maps illustrate the geographical distribution of coins from non-Roman sites century by century. A R
Lloyd R Laing
169 - 177
Gordon H Slade
178 - 191
Alastair M T Maxwell-Irving
192 - 224
Firearms came late to Scotland, although first used there by the English in 1327. The earliest use by the Scots was of large cannon in siege warfare "Mons Meg" was used at Threave in 1455, and later the castle's outer curtain was rebuilt with handgun slits in the wall and gunholes in the corner "rounds". The typical oval-mouthed gunhole, with hourglass section, appears c 1540, usually one per wallface, although occasionally overlapping fields of fire were arranged at different levels (Damelzier, Littledean). A re-examination of Amisfield Tower shows that the basement is of early date, gunholes being contrived by widening the lighting slits to give the appearance of a good traverse (studied in other towers). By 1600 the basement gunhole was going out of favour, although the inconspicuous muskethole continued to be used in upper walling. D F R
James K Thomson
225 - 227
Fiona E S Roe
225
David V Clarke
228 - 231
Martin Henig
231 - 233
Herbert Coutts
233 - 235
Herbert Coutts
235 - 236
Lloyd R Laing
236 - 239
J Bryan
240 - 241
242 - 255
257 - 260