Issue: Thomas Telford's Holyhead road

Subtitle the A5 in North Wales
Publication Type
Abstract Presents the results of a survey of the Welsh section of the road from Chirk to Holyhead, undertaken in 1999 and 2000, and also of the 14-mile spur road between Bangor and Conwy that forms part of the Chester Road. The road was built between 1815 and 1826, as a result of the Act of Union and the need for improved communication routes between Dublin and London. Telford's aim of constructing a road with gradients no steeper than 1:30 entailed the construction of numerous embankments, and a large number of stone bridges were also built in addition to the major bridges such as the cast-iron Waterloo Bridge at Betws-y-Coed and the suspension bridges at Conwy and across the Menai Straits. A supporting infrastructure alongside the road was also constructed in the form of depots for storing road surface materials; milestones; toll houses; and coaching inns. The report discusses the variable survival of the road surfaces, bridges, and other structures; the decline of traffic on the road following the opening of railway routes between London and Holyhead in the mid-nineteenth century; and the revival of use in the twentieth century. Includes Welsh, French and German summaries and a short section on `Getting involved', as well as
Author Jamie A Quartermaine
Barrie Trinder
Rick Turner
Editor Jamie A Quartermaine
Publisher Council for British Archaeology
Year of Publication 2003
Volume 135
Number of Pages: 204
ISBN 1-902771-34-6
Figure/Plate/Table/Ref Figure:    Plate:    Table:    Ref:
Source The British & Irish Archaeological Bibliography (BIAB)
Relations
URL: http://new.archaeologyuk.org/full-list-of-publications
Monograph Chapter Title Sort Order Both Arrows Access Type Author / Editor Page
Start/End Sort Order Up Arrow
Abstract
151 - 158
159 - 172