Issue: Conderton Camp, Worcestershire

Subtitle a small middle Iron Age hillfort on Bredon Hill
Publication Type
Abstract Bredon Hill is seen as a Middle Iron Age territory of approximately 24 km2, containing three hillforts of which Conderton Camp is the smallest and probably the first constructed, between the late-sixth and early-fourth century cal BC. The community responsible for it was associated through its material culture with Bredon Hill Camp to the northwest and with hillfort communities over a much wider area, and also with open settlements around Bredon Hill's southern margins and across the Cotswolds. A series of twenty-four radiocarbon age determinations sets this hillfort and culture in a secure but narrow time frame. A resistivity survey has shown that the spur upon which the hillfort was built had already been under cultivation, which extended across the valley. The Camp enclosed about 1.95 ha, with an initial rampart, ditch and counterscarp bank interrupted by simple entrances at the north and south. Part of the rampart around the southern end was later pulled back and laid across the spur to form a smaller upper camp with a central, inturned entrance and adjacent freestanding guardhouse. The north entrance was rebuilt to a similar design around the same time. Occupation of the upper camp included construction of around ten circular houses, not all contemporary, in two distinct sizes, defined by drystone-faced foundation walls. Storage was in more than 140 rock-cut pits among and beneath the houses, several lined with wickerwork, and others faced or patched with drystone. In the southwest corner of the upper camp stood a four-post structure which may have been a watch tower, another being set up within the abandoned guardhouse at the central entrance. A characteristic assemblage of Middle Iron Age impressed and linear-incised pottery was recovered, including salt containers from Droitwich and Cheshire. Possibly towards the end of the hillfort's use, the north entrance was blocked by a drystone wall; the camp was abandoned before the Late Iron Age, possibly in the early- to mid-second century BC. Apart from sporadic Romano-British activity, the site has remained under grass since that time. Excavations took place in 1958 and 1959, when the hillfort was known as Danes Camp, and this name has been incorporated in the archive, although the author argues that Conderton Camp is the most appropriate name. Includes French and German summaries; separately authored reports include
Downloads
RR143.pdf (70 MB): Download
Author Nicholas Thomas
Editor Nicholas Thomas
Publisher Council for British Archaeology
Year of Publication 2005
Volume 143
Number of Pages: 349
ISBN 1 902771 50 8
Figure/Plate/Table/Ref Figure:    Plate:    Table:    Ref:
Source The British & Irish Archaeological Bibliography (BIAB)
Relations
URL: http://new.archaeologyuk.org/full-list-of-publications
Monograph Chapter Title Sort Order Both Arrows Access Type Author / Editor Page
Start/End Sort Order Up Arrow
Abstract
Mark Corney
1 - 9
Andrew W Payne
10 - 18
Nicholas Thomas
Peter J Reynolds
58 - 93
Peter J Reynolds
85 - 93
Peter S Bellamy
114 - 117
Elaine L Morris
117 - 147
Patrick Marsden
Elaine L Morris
D F Williams
120
Philip Macdonald
153 - 156
William H Manning
156 - 158
Nicholas Thomas
Margaret Guido
Julian Henderson
162 - 163
Rob A Ixer
Nicholas Thomas
170 - 178
Andy Meadows
182
Mary Iles
Kate M Clark
183 - 223
Angela Monckton
223 - 230
Susan Ramsay
230 - 236
Alex Bayliss
Nicholas Thomas
Christopher Bronk-Ramsey
Francis Gerrard McCormac
237 - 245
Jonathan Musgrave
246
258 - 264
265 - 278
279 - 315
Rob A Ixer
316 - 320
Mary Iles
Kate M Clark
321 - 332