Series: Murray Archaeological Services Ltd (MAS) unpublished report series

Murray Archaeological Services Ltd
 ADS Digital Resource
Series Publication Type:
Publisher:
Year of Publication (Start): 2010
Year of Publication (End): 2017
Records per page:
Previous   Page 1 of 11   Next
Filter results by issue title, e.g. 'roman military station'
Filter:
Issue Title Sort Order Up Arrow Access Type Publication
Type
  Author / Editor   Abstract Publication
Year Sort Order Both Arrows
Hillary K Murray
J Murray
A watching brief was undertaken on ground to the rear of 1 Quarrywood Cottages, Spynie, in advance of the construction of a new dwelling. The area proved to have been deeply disturbed by the use and subsequent demolition of cottages shown on the 1868 and 1904 OS maps. No archaeological finds or features were observed.
2015
Hillary K Murray
J Murray
A standing building survey was undertaken prior to the demolition of a cottage in the village of Strichen. The building was a single-storey stone-walled cottage with a slate roof. It lay parallel to a lane, at right angles to a larger building on the High Street frontage. It had a central doorway flanked by windows and with a chimney at each gable. A small later extension had been added at one end. No internal details survived as it had recently been used as a storage shed.
2015
Charles J Murray
A watching brief was maintained during the excavation of the base for a 20kW wind turbine. Between 2003 and 2005 field walking to the NW of the site produced a range of flints and pottery dating to the late Neolithic and Early Bronze Age and, until its removal in 1902 a long barrow was situated on top of the Hill of Foulzie. No archaeological features or finds were evident during the present work.
2012
Charles J Murray
A watching brief was undertaken on the site of an extension to the rear of No 3 Trinity Quay. Two stone walls and a cobbled surface of probable 19th century date were recorded.
2013
Charles J Murray
Proposals for the erection of two new accommodation units in the garden at the rear of this Category C Listed Building were subject to a watching brief. Each plot measured 10 x 5m and was excavated to a depth of 800mm. Apart from one small sherd of unglazed pottery of possible medieval date, no archaeological features or finds were evident.
2012
H Murray
J Murray
A standing building photographic survey was undertaken of the former Registrar's Office and Council Chamber at 32 Panmure Street, Brechin. The building, which had been designed in 1897 by Brechin architect D Wishart Galloway, retained many original Art Nouveau fittings, including door fittings, air vents and fire places.
2016
Charles J Murray
A watching brief was maintained during the excavation of a drainage trench along the S side of 37 Cairnlee Avenue East and c.4m N of the Bieldside Cairn, Cults - a Scheduled Ancient Monument. The trench was 15m long by 280mm wide and 450mm deep. No archaeological features or finds were evident.
2011
Hillary K Murray
J Murray
A watching brief was undertaken on the foundations for an extension to a dwelling house. Part of the stone foundations of the original 18th- or early 19th-century frontage was exposed.
2016
Hillary K Murray
J Murray
A standing building survey was undertaken on a 19th-century house prior to its demolition to make a car park. The building was L-shaped with the earliest part along the New Street frontage and a later addition at right angles along the adjoining side street. The earlier part was of good rubble stone construction with well dressed sandstone margins to windows and doors. A blocked doorway and large original window on the frontage suggest that originally this may have been two properties, one a shop. There is some indication that it may originally have been a single-storey building. The later addition was off mass concrete construction and appears to be of late 19th-century date; it is shown on the 1902 OS map. J C Murray 2015
2015
Hillary K Murray
Charles J Murray
An evaluation took place on a small commercial development in order to attempt to locate a well shown on the 1st OS map of 1867. No archaeological features or finds were evident
2011
Charles J Murray
A watching brief was undertaken during the excavation of the provision of a new electricity supply to Angus Council's offices. No archaeological features or finds were observed.
2013
Hillary K Murray
J Murray
A small excavation and standing building recording were undertaken where maintenance work had exposed part of a tiled floor in the entrance hall of Aden House, a ruined 18th-century mansion partially reconstructed in the 19th century. The entrance hall is part of the building attributed to the Aberdeen architect John Smith and built c.1832. The tiles, which may be slightly later, were of a fairly plain geometric pattern. The excavation exposed a fine slate skirting and steps which led up into the house to an inner lobby, also originally tiled, which appeared to be above a cellar filled in with rubble. J C Murray 2015.
2015
Hillary K Murray
Charles J Murray
A standing building survey was undertaken prior to redevelopment of a cottage and attached building which had formed part of Aitkenshill Farm. Map evidence shows the cottage had been built between 1866 and 1899, probably as accommodation for a grieve as it faced towards the steading, with a blank wall facing the main farmhouse. A slightly lower, late 19th century addition at the E end may have been a dairy.
2012
Hillary K Murray
J Murray
A building survey was undertaken prior to the demolition of a small stone-walled, slate-roofed livestock building. The survey showed that this had originally been a single-storey croft house with a small byre abutting one gable. The house had a central door flanked by two small windows. The original roof was probably of thatch, later replaced by slate. The secondary W extension had a lower, cobbled floor and no windows and is likely to have been built as a byre. Both structures are shown on the 1st OS map of 1867 and are probably of early 19th-century date. Both parts of the building were later used for livestock when a new house was built alongside, between 1867 and 1899. H Murray 2014.
2014
Charles J Murray
A watching brief was maintained during the excavation of a borrow pit at the N end of an existing quarry which appears on the Ordnance Survey first edition mapping and which probably continued in use in the 20th century. The site is located on the S side of Ark Hill. Apart from soil and waste mounds no evidence for earlier quarrying was visible.
2012
Hillary K Murray
J Murray
A watching brief was undertaken of the soil strip on the site of a new agricultural building. No archaeological finds or features were recorded.
2014
Hillary K Murray
J Murray
An archaeological desk top evaluation and walkover survey were undertaken on the route of a cable between the existing power line at Bandodle Hill and a new substation on Bandodle Hill for the Auchorrie windfarm. There are significant remains of settlement on the hill from prehistoric to 19th century in date. No recorded or unrecorded features were apparent on the line of the cable trench.
2015
J Murray
A walkover survey and a watching brief were undertaken on the line of a cable trench for Auchorrie windfarm, Midmar. No archaeological finds or features were evident.
2016
Hillary K Murray
J Murray
A watching brief was undertaken on the soil strip for a new dwelling. No archaeological features were evident.
2016
Hillary K Murray
Charles J Murray
An evaluation took place on the site of a large industrial development. Within the area to be developed five clearance cairns, ranging in diameter between 1.8 and 3.2m, were identified, sectioned and recorded. A large flint pebble flake was excavated on the buried soil beneath one cairn.
2011
 
Previous   Page 1 of 11   Next