Divethill Farm, Capheaton, Newcastle-upon-Tyne, Northumberland. Historic Building Recording (OASIS ID: aocarcha1-390413)

Diana Sproat, Jamie Humble, 2020

Data copyright © AOC Archaeology Group unless otherwise stated

This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution 4.0 International License.
Creative Commons License


Cemex logo

Primary contact

AOC Archaeology Group
Edgefield Road Industrial Estate
Loanhead
Midlothian
EH20 9SY
Scotland
Tel: 0131 440 3593
Fax: 0131 440 3422

Send e-mail enquiry

Resource identifiers

Digital Object Identifiers

Digital Object Identifiers (DOIs) are persistent identifiers which can be used to consistently and accurately reference digital objects and/or content. The DOIs provide a way for the ADS resources to be cited in a similar fashion to traditional scholarly materials. More information on DOIs at the ADS can be found on our help page.

Citing this DOI

The updated Crossref DOI Display guidelines recommend that DOIs should be displayed in the following format:

https://doi.org/10.5284/1079015
Sample Citation for this DOI

Diana Sproat, Jamie Humble (2020) Divethill Farm, Capheaton, Newcastle-upon-Tyne, Northumberland. Historic Building Recording (OASIS ID: aocarcha1-390413) [data-set]. York: Archaeology Data Service [distributor] https://doi.org/10.5284/1079015

AOC Archaeology Group logo

Introduction

Divethill Farm, Capheaton, Newcastle-upon-Tyne, Northumberland. Historic Building Recording (OASIS ID: aocarcha1-390413)

A historic building survey of two former farm buildings, a cottage and a barn, at Divethill Quarry was undertaken by AOC Archaeology Group. The works were completed in advance of the demolition of the buildings for quarry working.

There were two remaining buildings relating to Divethill Farm at the time of survey. A linear barn to the west side was probably constructed in the early-mid 19th century and is depicted on the First Edition Ordnance Survey map of 1866. The farmhouse - or 'cottage' - was built later between 1895 and 1922 as a single-storey dwelling with a south-east facing facade. This was later appropriated by the quarry with some of the rooms used as laboratories and offices, which necessitated the construction of a single-roomed extension in the west corner and the addition of a large water tank. The single-storey barn was subdivided into three distinct units, the roof levels rising to the south-west taking in the natural slope of the ground, and appears to have been used as a range of cow byres. The roof was supported by a number of king post roof trusses, crudely bolted together, which had been replaced in one of the barns by a more modern sawcut king post truss.


ADS logo
Data Org logo
University of York logo