Stag House Farm, Darlington, County Durham. Archaeological Building Recording (OASIS ID: archaeol3-320798)

Linda Bosveld, 2019

Data copyright © Archaeological Services Durham University unless otherwise stated

This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution 4.0 International License.
Creative Commons License


West Park Ltd logo

Primary contact

Archaeological Services Durham University
South Road
Durham
DH1 3LE
England

Send e-mail enquiry

Resource identifiers

Digital Object Identifiers

Digital Object Identifiers (DOIs) are persistent identifiers which can be used to consistently and accurately reference digital objects and/or content. The DOIs provide a way for the ADS resources to be cited in a similar fashion to traditional scholarly materials. More information on DOIs at the ADS can be found on our help page.

Citing this DOI

The updated Crossref DOI Display guidelines recommend that DOIs should be displayed in the following format:

https://doi.org/10.5284/1052668
Sample Citation for this DOI

Linda Bosveld (2019) Stag House Farm, Darlington, County Durham. Archaeological Building Recording (OASIS ID: archaeol3-320798) [data-set]. York: Archaeology Data Service [distributor] https://doi.org/10.5284/1052668

Archaeological Services Durham University logo

Introduction

Stag House Farm, Darlington, County Durham. Archaeological Building Recording (OASIS ID: archaeol3-320798)

Photographic and drawn survey of the buildings of small dairy farm, probably founded in 1763.

The project

This report presents the results of an archaeological recording project conducted in advance of proposed works at Stag House Farm, Darlington. Photographic and drawn survey of the house and adjoining farm buildings has been carried out.

The works were commissioned by West Park Ltd and conducted by Archaeological Services Durham University.

Map evidence shows that that Stag House has always been an isolated single farmstead.In the 1890s it covered an area of a little over 12ha of land on the south westside of Newton Lane; it was a dairy farm.

Conclusions

1763 sundial is likely to give the date of construction of the first house, a threebay twostorey structure with a kitchen outshut and service additions on its northeast gable.The house was extended in the first part of the 19th century. The original tone barn to the north was later used as a cow house; other buildings were added after the middle of the 19th century. The stone building was largely demolished in recent times.

The buildings have been drawn and photographed. The only historically significant features are the sundial and the door fittings in the outshut.