Former electricity substation, Merryoaks, Durham City: archaeological building recording (OASIS ID: archaeol3-355311)

Linda Bosveld, 2019

Data copyright © Archaeological Services Durham University unless otherwise stated

This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution 4.0 International License.
Creative Commons License


Archaeological Services Durham University logo

Primary contact

Archaeological Services Durham University
South Road
Durham
DH1 3LE
England

Send e-mail enquiry

Resource identifiers

Digital Object Identifiers

Digital Object Identifiers (DOIs) are persistent identifiers which can be used to consistently and accurately reference digital objects and/or content. The DOIs provide a way for the ADS resources to be cited in a similar fashion to traditional scholarly materials. More information on DOIs at the ADS can be found on our help page.

Citing this DOI

The updated Crossref DOI Display guidelines recommend that DOIs should be displayed in the following format:

https://doi.org/10.5284/1056677
Sample Citation for this DOI

Linda Bosveld (2019) Former electricity substation, Merryoaks, Durham City: archaeological building recording (OASIS ID: archaeol3-355311) [data-set]. York: Archaeology Data Service [distributor] https://doi.org/10.5284/1056677

Introduction

Former electricity substation, Merryoaks, Durham City: archaeological building recording (OASIS ID: archaeol3-355311)

The project

This report presents the results of an archaeological recording project conducted in advance of proposed alteration work at a former electricity substation at Merryoaks, Durham City. A photographic and drawn survey has been carried out.

The works were commissioned by Marie Wall and conducted by Archaeological Services Durham University.

The building

The former electrical substation beside the A167 Darlington Road at Merryoaks has been recorded. This is a utilitarian brick and concrete structure that is typical of its period and function. The substation was built at an unknown date between 1897 and 1919 by a private local electrical company and its capacity was doubled before the Second World War. This entailed the addition of four ground-floor rooms on the east side, the extension of the lower ground-floor room on the west, and the construction of a new first-floor room. The substation went out of use pre2000s and Northern Powergrid, the current supply organisation, holds no records of it. All electrical equipment has been removed. The building has been subject to vandalism and some crude alterations have been made in recent times. One of these, an unsupported opening in the wall between rooms [2] and [3], could pose a threat to the stability of part of the building in the future.