Lumford Mill, Bakewell Business Park, Derbyshire. Building recording (OASIS ID: archaeol5-311171)

Adrian Jacklin, 2020

Data copyright © Adrian Jacklin unless otherwise stated

This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution 4.0 International License.
Creative Commons License


Archaeological Research Services Ltd logo

Primary contact

Archaeological Research Services Ltd
Angel House
Portland Square
Bakewell
DE45 1HB
UK
Tel: 01629 814540

Send e-mail enquiry

Resource identifiers

Digital Object Identifiers

Digital Object Identifiers (DOIs) are persistent identifiers which can be used to consistently and accurately reference digital objects and/or content. The DOIs provide a way for the ADS resources to be cited in a similar fashion to traditional scholarly materials. More information on DOIs at the ADS can be found on our help page.

Citing this DOI

The updated Crossref DOI Display guidelines recommend that DOIs should be displayed in the following format:

https://doi.org/10.5284/1079010
Sample Citation for this DOI

Adrian Jacklin (2020) Lumford Mill, Bakewell Business Park, Derbyshire. Building recording (OASIS ID: archaeol5-311171) [data-set]. York: Archaeology Data Service [distributor] https://doi.org/10.5284/1079010

Introduction

Lumford Mill, Bakewell Business Park, Derbyshire. Building recording (OASIS ID: archaeol5-311171)

Archaeological Research Services Ltd was commissioned in 2018 by Litton Properties Ltd to undertake a Level 2/ 3 historic building recording in order to discharge conditions of the planning permissions for a demolition of former mill buildings, associated structures and other buildings for the hotel development, improvements to existing site access, parking, landscaping and other associated works at Riverside Business Park, Bakewell Derbyshire: NGR SK 21236905.

The cartographic records show that the site was originally occupied by one of Arkwright's water powered mills from 1777. However, the mill suffered a devastating fire in 1868 which gutted the interior and caused extensive damage. Later in the 19th century a new cotton mill was constructed on a smaller scale than the previous building but within part of the footprint of the 18th century structure and incorporating some of the stone work from the earlier mill. The site was expanded to the south in 1881 but by 1896 the production of cotton here was proving unsuccessful resulting in operations ceasing. In 1898 the site was bought by DP Battery Company and alterations were made to the building and new structures were erected mainly to the west of the mill.


ADS logo
Data Org logo
University of York logo