Longshaw Estate Substation (OASIS ID: archaeol5-358008)

Shannon Birds, 2019

Data copyright © Archaeological Research Services Ltd unless otherwise stated

This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution 4.0 International License.
Creative Commons License


Archaeological Research Services Ltd logo

Primary contact

Archaeological Research Services Ltd
Angel House
Portland Square
Bakewell
DE45 1HB
UK
Tel: 01629 814540

Send e-mail enquiry

Resource identifiers

Digital Object Identifiers

Digital Object Identifiers (DOIs) are persistent identifiers which can be used to consistently and accurately reference digital objects and/or content. The DOIs provide a way for the ADS resources to be cited in a similar fashion to traditional scholarly materials. More information on DOIs at the ADS can be found on our help page.

Citing this DOI

The updated Crossref DOI Display guidelines recommend that DOIs should be displayed in the following format:

https://doi.org/10.5284/1057515
Sample Citation for this DOI

Shannon Birds (2019) Longshaw Estate Substation (OASIS ID: archaeol5-358008) [data-set]. York: Archaeology Data Service [distributor] https://doi.org/10.5284/1057515

Introduction

Longshaw Estate Substation (OASIS ID: archaeol5-358008)

Archaeological Research Services Ltd was commissioned by the National Trust to undertake an archaeological supervision, recording and reporting at the Longshaw Estate, Deryshire. The work forms a condition of a planning application for the construction of a new substation adjacent to the cafe. Longshaw Lodge was built in 1827 as a shooting box for the Duke of Rutland. As a result the site had the potential to contain historic evidence related to the landscape legacy of rural leisure pursuits.

The work was undertaken between the 8th November 2018 and 20th June 2019 in accordance with a written scheme of works guided by the Peak District National Park Authority (PDNPA) Senior Conservation Archaeologist.

A number of archaeological features were encountered during the works which included a post-18th century land drain comprised of cylindrical ceramic segments as well as a probable early-mid 19th century culvert which likely provided drainage from the contemporary former icehouse to the south-east of the site.