The Hermitage, Malton Road, Stockton-on-Forest, York: Building Record

Kelly Hunter, 2019

Data copyright © Kelly Hunter unless otherwise stated

This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution 4.0 International License.
Creative Commons License


MAP Archaeological Practice Ltd logo

Primary contact

MAP Archaeological Practice Ltd
New Unit 11
8 Showfield Lane
Malton
North Yorkshire
YO17 6BT
UK
Tel: 01653 697752

Send e-mail enquiry

Resource identifiers

Digital Object Identifiers

Digital Object Identifiers (DOIs) are persistent identifiers which can be used to consistently and accurately reference digital objects and/or content. The DOIs provide a way for the ADS resources to be cited in a similar fashion to traditional scholarly materials. More information on DOIs at the ADS can be found on our help page.

Citing this DOI

The updated Crossref DOI Display guidelines recommend that DOIs should be displayed in the following format:

https://doi.org/10.5284/1057496
Sample Citation for this DOI

Kelly Hunter (2019) The Hermitage, Malton Road, Stockton-on-Forest, York: Building Record [data-set]. York: Archaeology Data Service [distributor] https://doi.org/10.5284/1057496

Introduction

The Hermitage, Malton Road, Stockton-on-Forest, York: Building Record

The Building Record of a farmhouse at the Hermitage, Malton Road, Stockton-on-the Forest, York prior to demolition (City of York Planning Ref. 17/01016/FUL).

The farmhouse was originally a late nineteenth century agricultural building (open cartshed with three opening and a hayloft above). This building was converted for residential use as two cottages between 1930 and 1938. The conversion works were carried out to a high standard of architectural detailing and construction, with details suggestive of the Arts and Crafts movement. Notable features are the chimney stacks, lead-roofed door canopy, red brick arched window lintels to the rear extension and tiled sill detail.

The two cottages were remodelled into a single residential dwelling in the later twentieth century with a recent rear extension. The farmhouse and rear extension were constructed of brick details with pantile roofs. The stairs were the original access to the hayloft. There was a former rear toilet extension for the southern cottage, converted into the pantry after the new extension had been built.

The building was surveyed in April 2018 (Site Code MAP. 5.08.2018).