Old Sarum Trunk Main Replacement, Wiltshire: Archaeological excavation

Wessex Archaeology, 2019

Data copyright © Wessex Archaeology unless otherwise stated

This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution 4.0 International License.
Creative Commons License


Wessex Archaeology logo

Primary contact

Wessex Archaeology
Portway House
Old Sarum Park
Salisbury
SP4 6EB
UK
Tel: 01722 326867
Fax: 01722 337562

Send e-mail enquiry

Resource identifiers

Digital Object Identifiers

Digital Object Identifiers (DOIs) are persistent identifiers which can be used to consistently and accurately reference digital objects and/or content. The DOIs provide a way for the ADS resources to be cited in a similar fashion to traditional scholarly materials. More information on DOIs at the ADS can be found on our help page.

Citing this DOI

The updated Crossref DOI Display guidelines recommend that DOIs should be displayed in the following format:

https://doi.org/10.5284/1057522
Sample Citation for this DOI

Wessex Archaeology (2019) Old Sarum Trunk Main Replacement, Wiltshire: Archaeological excavation [data-set]. York: Archaeology Data Service [distributor] https://doi.org/10.5284/1057522

Introduction

Old Sarum Trunk Main Replacement, Wiltshire: Archaeological excavation

In 2001 and 2002 Wessex Archaeology undertook an archaeological excavation in advance of the replacement of a water pipeline to the north of Salisbury. The work was commissioned and funded by Wessex Water. The pipeline runs for 4.5 km from the Camp Hill Reservoir, passing north of the scheduled monument of Old Sarum to the Castle Hill Reservoir, with a branch continuing east towards Ford village.

The pipeline crosses a rich archaeological landscape with evidence for Neolithic pits and along barrow, Bronze Age barrow cemeteries and field systems, as well as Iron Age, Romano-British, and medieval settlements. The hillfort at Old Sarum was built during the Early Iron Age, and was the possible site of the Roman town of Sorviodunum, when up to four Roman roads converged outside its east gate. The site continued to be occupied in the Saxon period, but was substantially re-modelled after the Norman conquest with the construction of a motte-and-bailey castle, the strengthening of the defences and the building of a cathedral, later rebuilt in 1130. The abandonment of Old Sarum began in the early 13th century when the bishopric was moved, in 1219, to the new city of Salisbury to the south.

The report on the excavations was published in 2005 in The Wiltshire Archaeological and Natural History Magazine 98, 250−80.

The full specialist reports for the project may be downloaded here.