117, 119, 121 and 123 Paynes Road, Freemantle, Southampton. Archaeological Building Recording (SOU1696)

Tobias Riley, Emma Anderson, Artur Fedorowicz, 2020

Data copyright © Dr Andy Russel unless otherwise stated

This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution 4.0 International License.
Creative Commons License


Southampton City Council Archaeology Unit logo

Primary contact

Southampton City Council Archaeology Unit
18 Melbourne Street
Southampton
SO14 5FB
Tel: 023 8063 4906

Send e-mail enquiry

Resource identifiers

Digital Object Identifiers

Digital Object Identifiers (DOIs) are persistent identifiers which can be used to consistently and accurately reference digital objects and/or content. The DOIs provide a way for the ADS resources to be cited in a similar fashion to traditional scholarly materials. More information on DOIs at the ADS can be found on our help page.

Citing this DOI

The updated Crossref DOI Display guidelines recommend that DOIs should be displayed in the following format:

https://doi.org/10.5284/1083513
Sample Citation for this DOI

Tobias Riley, Emma Anderson, Artur Fedorowicz (2020) 117, 119, 121 and 123 Paynes Road, Freemantle, Southampton. Archaeological Building Recording (SOU1696) [data-set]. York: Archaeology Data Service [distributor] https://doi.org/10.5284/1083513

Introduction

117, 119, 121 and 123 Paynes Road, Freemantle, Southampton. Archaeological Building Recording (SOU1696)

The Archaeology Unit of Southampton City Council carried out a programme of archaeological building recording of three buildings forming four properties at 117-123 Paynes Road, Southampton, SO15 3BW, prior to their demolition. The aim of the work was to understand the history of the structures and the changes that they had undergone, and if possible date them. The survey primarily consisted of photographs in monochrome and colour transparency with measured sketch plans. The survey took place between the 15/10/2015-12/11/2015 and was carried out by Tobias Riley BA (Hons) MSc, Artur Fedorowicz and E L Anderson BA MA ACIfA. The illustrations were drawn by E L Anderson BA MA ACIfA. The report was checked by Dr A D Russel BA PhD MCIfA.

All four of the properties were built in the second half of the 19th century and were built on land that had been part of the Freemantle Park estate, which was sold in 1852 to a local business man, Sampson Payne, who demolished Freemantle House and sold the estate on as building lots. The 1866-69 Ordnance Survey map shows No 123, a bungalow in yellow brick, was in existence at that date, the rest of the site being vacant. The other buildings, a pair of semi-detached houses and a detached house, first appear on the 1895-6 revision. The three buildings had been much altered over the years but included a number of original features.


ADS logo
Data Org logo
University of York logo