Land off Vicarage and Manor Roads, Landkey, North Devon, Devon. Results of a Desk - Based Assessment and Archaeological Evaluation (OASIS ID: southwes1-307999).

South West Archaeology Ltd, 2018

Data copyright © South West Archaeology Ltd unless otherwise stated

This work is licensed under the ADS Terms of Use and Access.
Creative Commons License


South West Archaeology Ltd logo

Primary contact

Dr Samuel Walls
South West Archaeology Ltd
The Old Dairy
Hacche Lane Business Park
South Molton
Devon
EX36 3LH
UK

Send e-mail enquiry

Resource identifiers

Digital Object Identifiers

Digital Object Identifiers (DOIs) are persistent identifiers which can be used to consistently and accurately reference digital objects and/or content. The DOIs provide a way for the ADS resources to be cited in a similar fashion to traditional scholarly materials. More information on DOIs at the ADS can be found on our help page.

Citing this DOI

The updated Crossref DOI Display guidelines recommend that DOIs should be displayed in the following format:

https://doi.org/10.5284/1050112
Sample Citation for this DOI

South West Archaeology Ltd (2018) Land off Vicarage and Manor Roads, Landkey, North Devon, Devon. Results of a Desk - Based Assessment and Archaeological Evaluation (OASIS ID: southwes1-307999). [data-set]. York: Archaeology Data Service [distributor] https://doi.org/10.5284/1050112

Introduction

Land off Vicarage and Manor Roads, Landkey, North Devon, Devon. Results of a Desk - Based Assessment and Archaeological Evaluation (OASIS ID: southwes1-307999).

This collection presents the results of an archaeological evaluation carried out by South West Archaeology Ltd. for land off Vicarage and Manor Roads, Landkey, North Devon, Devon.

The site is located within the historic core of Landkey in close proximity to the 13th century church and historic manor.

The evaluation identified seven features across the three trenches, all post-medieval or more probably 18th or 19th century in date. Some of these features correspond with a building shown on the site on the 1845 tithe map, but it appears this structure was comprehensively demolished before c.1880. Following its demolition a drain was dug that destroyed the western wall of the building, and a very large feature was excavated to the east; the fills of the latter feature were waterlogged, and it is likely to relate to the drainage of the site. Almost all of the material recovered from the site can be dated to the 18th and 19th century and is domestic in character.

Given the results of the archaeological evaluation, and the type, age and preservation of the features encountered, the archaeological potential of the site was deemed to be low and further archaeological investigation of limited value.