Surrey Archaeological Collections

Surrey Archaeological Society, 2003 (updated 2016)

Data copyright © Surrey Archaeological Society unless otherwise stated

This work is licensed under the ADS Terms of Use and Access.
Creative Commons License


Surrey Archaeological Society logo

Primary contact

Audrey Graham
Honorary Editor
Surrey Archaeological Society
Castle Arch
Guildford
Surrey
GU1 3SX
UK

Send e-mail enquiry

Resource identifiers

Digital Object Identifiers

Digital Object Identifiers (DOIs) are persistent identifiers which can be used to consistently and accurately reference digital objects and/or content. The DOIs provide a way for the ADS resources to be cited in a similar fashion to traditional scholarly materials. More information on DOIs at the ADS can be found on our help page.

Citing this DOI

The updated Crossref DOI Display guidelines recommend that DOIs should be displayed in the following format:

https://doi.org/10.5284/1000221
Sample Citation for this DOI

Surrey Archaeological Society (2016) Surrey Archaeological Collections [data-set]. York: Archaeology Data Service [distributor] https://doi.org/10.5284/1000221

The archbishop’s great stable: excavations and historical research at the Old Palace School, Croydon, 1999

This report summarises the results of a series of archaeological investigations at two sites within the grounds of Old Palace School in Croydon. The school occupies some of the extant historic buildings of the former palace or manor of the archbishops of Canterbury, which are mainly late 14th to early 16th century in date. Archaeological excavation in 1999 prior to the construction of a new Preparatory School building to the north of the historic buildings has added to information from earlier excavations carried out on the site in 1970 (Drewett 1971; 1974). Further evidence was uncovered for two substantial buildings. The earliest with flint and chalk wall foundations, probably Archbishop Arundel’s ‘great’ stable completed in 1399/1400, was replaced by a brick stable, probably built by Sir William Brereton in the 1640s or 1650s. Archaeological evaluation and watching brief work prior to and during the construction of an indoor swimming pool to the east of the historic school buildings revealed a number of walls, which appear to be connected with the pleasure and kitchen gardens of the former palace. Documentary research has been undertaken to assist with the interpretation of the excavated remains in both areas and to set them within the development of the whole palace complex.

<< back