3 Market Place, Derby, Derbyshire. Building Recording (OASIS ID: thamesva1-393232)

Thames Valley Archaeological Services Ltd, 2020

Data copyright © Thames Valley Archaeological Services Ltd unless otherwise stated

This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution 4.0 International License.
Creative Commons License


Thames Valley Archaeological Services Ltd logo

Primary contact

Thames Valley Archaeological Services Ltd
47-49 De Beauvoir Road
Reading
RG1 5NR
UK
Tel: 0118 9260 552
Fax: 0118 9260 553

Send e-mail enquiry

Resource identifiers

Digital Object Identifiers

Digital Object Identifiers (DOIs) are persistent identifiers which can be used to consistently and accurately reference digital objects and/or content. The DOIs provide a way for the ADS resources to be cited in a similar fashion to traditional scholarly materials. More information on DOIs at the ADS can be found on our help page.

Citing this DOI

The updated Crossref DOI Display guidelines recommend that DOIs should be displayed in the following format:

https://doi.org/10.5284/1081248
Sample Citation for this DOI

Thames Valley Archaeological Services Ltd (2020) 3 Market Place, Derby, Derbyshire. Building Recording (OASIS ID: thamesva1-393232) [data-set]. York: Archaeology Data Service [distributor] https://doi.org/10.5284/1081248

Introduction

3 Market Place, Derby, Derbyshire. Building Recording (OASIS ID: thamesva1-393232)

Numbers 3-4 Market Place is part of a larger building, including number 2, known as Franceys House. In its earliest form it consisted of the Market Place frontage with stairs to the rear and additional rooms. Blocked doorways indicate additional rooms to the north in number 5. A description of the building in the will of William Franceys, 1703, appears to describe the existing building, with its three garrett rooms, however in style, the building appears to date to the early 18th century and so may have been renovated by his son Henry. A number of rooms contain plain and linen-fold panelling. The main first-floor room above number 4 has a series of carved panels containing wyverns and pomegranates, the symbol of Katherine of Aragon and appear to date to the 15th century, so must have been brought in from elsewhere, possibly from Newcastle House on the north of Market Place. The rear extension may also date from Henry Franceys's renovation, windows suggesting a date between 1709 and 1774. The final rear extension predates 1901.


ADS logo
Data Org logo
University of York logo