Building south of Whinfield Cottage, Durham. Building recording (OASIS ID: vindomor1-370512)

Tony Liddell, 2020

Data copyright © Tony Liddell unless otherwise stated

This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution 4.0 International License.
Creative Commons License


Vindomora Solutions logo

Primary contact

Vindomora Solutions
Office 13, Consett Innovation Centre
Ponds Court Business Park
Genesis Way, Consett
County Durham
DH8 5XP

Send e-mail enquiry

Resource identifiers

Digital Object Identifiers

Digital Object Identifiers (DOIs) are persistent identifiers which can be used to consistently and accurately reference digital objects and/or content. The DOIs provide a way for the ADS resources to be cited in a similar fashion to traditional scholarly materials. More information on DOIs at the ADS can be found on our help page.

Citing this DOI

The updated Crossref DOI Display guidelines recommend that DOIs should be displayed in the following format:

https://doi.org/10.5284/1081987
Sample Citation for this DOI

Tony Liddell (2020) Building south of Whinfield Cottage, Durham. Building recording (OASIS ID: vindomor1-370512) [data-set]. York: Archaeology Data Service [distributor] https://doi.org/10.5284/1081987

Introduction

Building south of Whinfield Cottage, Durham. Building recording (OASIS ID: vindomor1-370512)

In September 2019 Vindomora Solutions Ltd were commissioned by GAC Planning and Design to undertake a scheme of historic/archaeological building recording on a derelict building south of Whinfield Cottage, Woodland, County Durham. Under the NPPF the derelict building is a non-designated heritage asset, and so the historic building recording project was required to record the structure prior to work commencing. The level of recording identified by the Local Authority was a Level 2 Historic England equivalent survey. The stone-built house was in place by the time the First Edition Ordnance Survey map was produced in 1857 and appears to have been a standard one room up and one room down house, likely used by an agricultural worker family. The 1857 map shows the house to the west and the lean-to building to the east, which was presumably a barn or byre, with a paddock to the southwest. By the time the 1897 Second Edition Ordnance Survey map was produced, the brick extension had been constructed along the north side of the building with external outbuildings to the east against the boundary wall with the road. By 1921 the paddock to the southwest had gone, replaced by a building (presumably a barn), with a small walled garden space added to the southeast frontage of the house. The house was abandoned in the mid 20th century and was then used as a shelter for livestock: by 1978, the roof had collapsed on the lean-to to the east.


ADS logo
Data Org logo
University of York logo