Issue: Conservation and change on Edinburgh's defences:

Subtitle archaeological investigation and building recording of the Flodden Wall, Grassmarket 1998-2001
Publication Type
Abstract This report presents the results of a historic building survey and archaeological watching brief undertaken between 1998 and 2001 during restoration work (undertaken as part of the Scottish Dance Base development) on the Flodden Wall running between Edinburgh's Grassmarket and Johnston Terrace. The Flodden Wall is the name given to the 16th-century extension of the capital's town defences, traditionally seen as having been constructed in the months following the defeat at Flodden in 1513. Prior to this project the extent and condition of this particular stretch of the Flodden Wall (the north-western boundary of the Grassmarket and a Scheduled Ancient Monument) was not fully understood. This project has shown that here the Flodden Wall and surrounding area had undergone three major phases of construction and redevelopment, from its origins in the early 16th century to the formation of a drying green (Granny's Green) to the west of the Wall in the late 19th century. In particular the results have demonstrated that the surviving southern section of the Wall here was largely rebuilt during the third quarter of the 18th century, when a complex of buildings was constructed along Kings Stables Road abutting the Wall's western face.
Downloads
sair10.pdf (1 MB): Download
Author J A Lawson
D Reed
John A Lawson
David Reed
Editor Colin R W Wallace
Publisher Society of Antiquaries of Scotland
Year of Publication 2004
Volume 10
ISBN 0-903903-79-2
Subjects / Periods
Medieval
BIAB: Defences
BIAB: Building Recording
Source DigitalBorn
Relations
Monograph Chapter Title Sort Order Both Arrows Access Type Author / Editor Page
Start/End Sort Order Up Arrow
Abstract
J A Lawson
David Reed
0
This report presents the results of a historic building survey and archaeological watching brief undertaken between 1998 and 2001 during restoration work (undertaken as part of the Scottish Dance Base development) on the Flodden Wall running between Edinburgh's Grassmarket and Johnston Terrace. The Flodden Wall is the name given to the sixteenth-century extension of the capital's town defences, traditionally seen as having been constructed in the months following the defeat at Flodden in 1513. Prior to this project the extent and condition of this particular stretch of the Flodden Wall (the north-western boundary of the Grassmarket and a Scheduled Ancient Monument) was not fully understood. This project has shown that here the Flodden Wall and surrounding area had undergone three major phases of construction and redevelopment, from its origins in the early sixteenth century to the formation of a drying green (Granny's Green) to the west of the Wall in the late-nineteenth century. In particular the results have demonstrated that the surviving southern section of the Wall here was largely rebuilt during the third quarter of the eighteenth century, when a complex of buildings was constructed along Kings Stables Road abutting the Wall's western face.
1 - 2
This report presents the results of a historic building survey and archaeological watching brief undertaken between 1998 and 2001 during restoration work (undertaken as part of the Scottish Dance Base development) on the Flodden Wall running between Edinburgh's Grassmarket and Johnston Terrace. The Flodden Wall is the name given to the 16th-century extension of the capital's town defences, traditionally seen as having been constructed in the months following the defeat at Flodden in 1513. Prior to this project the extent and condition of this particular stretch of the Flodden Wall (the north-western boundary of the Grassmarket and a Scheduled Ancient Monument) was not fully understood. This project has shown that here the Flodden Wall and surrounding area had undergone three major phases of construction and redevelopment, from its origins in the early 16th century to the formation of a drying green (Granny's Green) to the west of the Wall in the late 19th century. In particular the results have demonstrated that the surviving southern section of the Wall here was largely rebuilt during the third quarter of the 18th century, when a complex of buildings was constructed along Kings Stables Road abutting the Wall's western face.
J A Lawson
David Reed
3 - 6
The section describes the site location, circumstances behind the archaeological work and the methodology which included building survey, excavation of three engineering test pits and a watching brief during construction with a brief summary of previous work.
John A Lawson
David Reed
7 - 10
The results from the archaeological programme of works and building recording have been organised to reflect the three major phases of construction and redevelopment, starting with phase 1 - the reconstruction of the Flodden Wall in the early 16th century. Phase 2 is reconstruction and development of the wall from the 16th century to c 1850. Phase 3 (Granny's Green - post 1850) comprises large scale landscaping on both sides of the Floddden Wall in the second half of the 19th century.
John A Lawson
David Reed
Colin R W Wallace
11 - 17
This section considers the Grassmarket area before the wall, the site and its setting through time, and later medieval/early post-medieval urban walls in southern Scotland. It is concluded that a town wall, generally lacking the sort of architectural detail that allows the chronology of buildings to be defined, will always pose problems of date when the documentary evidence is either unclear or uncollected. In the case of the Flodden Wall, the foundations for the original building were never exposed during the present excavations.
18
19 - 20
21