Data copyright © Cambridge Antiquarian Society unless otherwise stated
Cambridge Antiquarian Society
Digital Object Identifiers (DOIs) are persistent identifiers which can be used to consistently and accurately reference digital objects and/or content. The DOIs provide a way for the ADS resources to be cited in a similar fashion to traditional scholarly materials. More information on DOIs at the ADS can be found on our help page.
The updated Crossref DOI Display guidelines recommend that DOIs should be displayed in the following format:
Cambridge Antiquarian Society (2015) Cambridge Antiquarian Proceedings [data-set]. York: Archaeology Data Service [distributor] https://doi.org/10.5284/1034398
Wandlebury hill fort, drawn by Richard Relhan 1801
(PCAS XCIII 2004)
The CAMBRIDGE ANTIQUARIAN SOCIETY was founded in 1840 'for the encouragement of the study of history and antiquities of the University, Town and County of Cambridge', and its Proceedings have been published on an annual basis since that time. In 1845 its remit became worldwide, although its publications have since become increasingly local (Cambridgeshire, including Huntingdonshire and Peterborough). Similarly its subject matter is still all things antiquarian, but it is now principally concerned with archaeology and, to lesser extent, local history and historic buildings.
In 1900 a breakaway society, the Cambridgeshire and Huntingdonshire Archaeological Society, which concentrated on medieval architecture, was formed. This Society was formally combined with Cambridge Antiquarian Society in 1952. Between these years annual Transactions were published for most years. These were bound and published as 7 volumes and are published here in digital form.
Digitisation of the Proceedings of Cambridge Antiquarian Society and the Transactions of Cambridgeshire and Huntingdonshire Archaeological Society was generously supported by the Marc Fitch Fund.