Channel Tunnel Rail Link Section 1

Stuart Foreman, 2004 (updated 2009)

Data copyright © High Speed 1 unless otherwise stated


High Speed 1 logo

Primary contact

Stuart Foreman
Senior Project Manager
Oxford Archaeology (South)
Janus House
Osney Mead
Oxford
OX2 0ES
UK
Tel: 01865 263800
Fax: 01865 793496

Send e-mail enquiry

Resource identifiers

Digital Object Identifiers

Digital Object Identifiers (DOIs) are persistent identifiers which can be used to consistently and accurately reference digital objects and/or content. The DOIs provide a way for the ADS resources to be cited in a similar fashion to traditional scholarly materials. More information on DOIs at the ADS can be found on our help page.

Citing this DOI

The updated Crossref DOI Display guidelines recommend that DOIs should be displayed in the following format:

https://doi.org/10.5284/1000230
Sample Citation for this DOI

Stuart Foreman (2009) Channel Tunnel Rail Link Section 1 [data-set]. York: Archaeology Data Service [distributor] https://doi.org/10.5284/1000230

4 Boys Hall Road, Willesborough, Kent - Building Report

Summary

No 4 Boys Hall Road. Exterior view from the north-west.

The Oxford Archaeological Unit (OAU) were commissioned by Kvaerner Construction Ltd. to undertake a programme of archaeological recording at the Grade II Listed building at 4 Boys Hall Road, Willesborough, Kent (NGR: TQ 6026 1412) in advance of demolition. The survey was carried out between 10-12th May 1999.

The building would appear to originate, in the early 19th century, as a three cell, in-line single storey brick built structure. The nature of the primary building remains uncertain though the identification of a primary fireplace within the central room would appear to indicate a domestic function. This is perhaps supported by the evidence of a property survey undertaken in advance of the construction of the railway which describes the building as a 'lodge', related to No. 2 Boys Hall Road. In c.1890, the building was extended by the addition of a first floor of timber stud construction clad externally with decorative banded tiles and providing three additional rooms. Additional heating was provided in the central, first floor room and by the construction of a second stack to the southern part of the building with fireplaces at ground and first floor levels. During the 20th century, a single storey, pentroofed bathroom extension was appended to the north elevation.

Other material from the programme linked to this report.


Phase 2

Below is a list of Phase 2 assessments in which other data from this site may be found.

Boys Hall Balancing Pond, Sevington, Kent Post Excavation Assessment
Watching Brief Area 430, Kent Integrated Site Report

Phase 1

Evaluation and Interim Excavation Data

Other evaluation and interim excavation and field data associated with this report can be found in the site list.