English Heritage Archaeological Monographs

English Heritage, 2014

Data copyright © English Heritage unless otherwise stated


Historic England logo

Primary contact

Louise Portsmouth
Historic England Publishing Department
Historic England
The Engine House
Firefly Avenue
Swindon
SN2 2EH

Send e-mail enquiry

Resource identifiers

Digital Object Identifiers

Digital Object Identifiers (DOIs) are persistent identifiers which can be used to consistently and accurately reference digital objects and/or content. The DOIs provide a way for the ADS resources to be cited in a similar fashion to traditional scholarly materials. More information on DOIs at the ADS can be found on our help page.

Citing this DOI

The updated Crossref DOI Display guidelines recommend that DOIs should be displayed in the following format:

https://doi.org/10.5284/1028203
Sample Citation for this DOI

English Heritage (2014) English Heritage Archaeological Monographs [data-set]. York: Archaeology Data Service [distributor] https://doi.org/10.5284/1028203

The Legionary Fortress at Wroxeter: Excavations by Graham Webster, 1955-85

Webster, G., Chadderton, J.


English Heritage (2002)


Abstract:

The Legionary Fortress at Wroxeter: Excavations by Graham Webster, 1955-85

Roman legionary fortress at Wroxeter (Viroconium Cornoviorum) was built on a strategic crossing-point on the River Severn. Though the site of the Roman town had long been known through the presence of upstanding ruins, the major excavations reported here have shown how the town plan was dominated by the underlying fortress. This fortress had been established by Legio XIV c. AD 60 and had then been partially rebuilt c. AD 66 when the legion was replaced by Legio XX. The fortress was downgraded in the late 70s to become a depot for stores before final abandonment c. AD 90. The excavations produced extensive evidence for the laying out and construction of the legionary earth and timber defences and of an area within the fortress to the north of the via praetorian where mess halls, barrack blocks and a storehouse were found, as well as considerable quantities of coins, metalwork, pottery and glass.


Download monograph

The Legionary Fortress at Wroxeter: Excavations by Graham Webster, 1955-85, Webster, G.|Chadderton, J., English Heritage (2002), ISBN: 9781848021853 PDF 50 Mb