Data copyright © Pre-Construct Archaeological Services Ltd (Lincoln) unless otherwise stated
Pre-Construct Archaeological Services Ltd (Lincoln)
Unit G, William Street Business Park
Digital Object Identifiers (DOIs) are persistent identifiers which can be used to consistently and accurately reference digital objects and/or content. The DOIs provide a way for the ADS resources to be cited in a similar fashion to traditional scholarly materials. More information on DOIs at the ADS can be found on our help page.
The updated Crossref DOI Display guidelines recommend that DOIs should be displayed in the following format:
Pre-Construct Archaeological Services Ltd (Lincoln) (2017) Philip Pape Mural, Baysgarth School, Barrow Road, Barton-on-Humber (OASIS ID: preconst3-272372) [data-set]. York: Archaeology Data Service [distributor] https://doi.org/10.5284/1041585
Planning permission was granted by North Lincolnshire Council in March 2015 to construct a new build secondary school to accommodate 960 pupils on the same site as the existing Baysgarth School, Barton upon Humber. The current school buildings will be demolished following decant into the new building, with the exception of the sports hall building, which will be retained, rearranged and extended. Condition 22 of the planning permission requires that ‘no demolition shall take place until a scheme to secure the preservation in situ or by record of the Philip Pape wall sculpture has been submitted to and approved in writing by the local planning authority. The scheme shall include a timetable of works.’
Baysgarth School is located on the south-east side of the historic town, between the A1077 Barrow Road, which forms the northern border of the site, and Caistor Road, which borders it to the south-west. The site is irregular in shape; its central National Grid Reference is TA 03649 21646.
The school itself was formed in 1975 by amalgamating the older grammar school and the newer secondary modern school as one split-site comprehensive. The grammar school buildings, dating from 1930, were demolished for residential development in the 1990s, but the secondary modern buildings from 1956 remain. A major artwork by the sculptor Philip Pape, who lived and worked in Barton, survives on the north wall of the secondary modern school.
The buildings are considered to be of local historic significance, having historic, aesthetic and communal value. The Philip Pape mural particularly exhibits these values and a Level 2 photographic survey (English Heritage, 2006) has been undertaken to preserve it by record prior to the demolition of the building. This survey has been carried out in compliance with a specification prepared by this company in response to consultations with and a generic brief issued by the NLSMR.