Surrey Archaeological Society Research Volumes

Surrey Archaeological Society, 2016

Data copyright © Surrey Archaeological Society unless otherwise stated


Surrey Archaeological Society logo

Primary contact

Audrey Graham
Honorary Editor
Surrey Archaeological Society
Castle Arch
Guildford
Surrey
GU1 3SX
UK

Send e-mail enquiry

Resource identifiers

Digital Object Identifiers

Digital Object Identifiers (DOIs) are persistent identifiers which can be used to consistently and accurately reference digital objects and/or content. The DOIs provide a way for the ADS resources to be cited in a similar fashion to traditional scholarly materials. More information on DOIs at the ADS can be found on our help page.

Citing this DOI

The updated Crossref DOI Display guidelines recommend that DOIs should be displayed in the following format:

https://doi.org/10.5284/1037304
Sample Citation for this DOI

Surrey Archaeological Society (2016) Surrey Archaeological Society Research Volumes [data-set]. York: Archaeology Data Service [distributor] https://doi.org/10.5284/1037304

Surrey Archaeological Society Research Volumes (1988) Volume 11.


Archaeological investigations on the site of Chertsey Abbey, by R Poulton.


Table of Contents

Title pages and contents
Anon. (pp. i-ix)
PDF 1 Mb
Frontispiece
Anon. (pp. x)
PDF 1 Mb
Preface and Acknowledgements
ROB POULTON and GROUP CAPTAIN G KNOCKER (pp. 1-3)
Abstract

Abstract

Preface and Acknowledgements
ROB POULTON and GROUP CAPTAIN G KNOCKER (pp. 1-3)

The site of the church and cloister of Chertsey Abbey was extensively excavated in 1954 and the results of this, together with some smaller subsequent investigations, are here presented and related to earlier work, especially the 19th century digging, and to the historical and early cartographic information.

Very little evidence was recovered for the site of the pre-Conquest Abbey, but it is possible to reconstruct the later precinct in some detail. The Norman church had apsidal chapels to the transepts and a triple apsed east end projecting beyond the ambulatory, with the cloistral buildings to the north, nearest the Abbey River. This general arrangement was modified, mostly in the period c 1250–1300 so that the apses were all squared, the site of the Chertsey tile kiln to the south of the church was covered by a cemetery, and the outer court was sited to the west of the church and cloister. It may have been in the ensuing half century that the precinct was walled and the elaborate system of moats and fishponds established.

The site was used as a quarry for materials to build Henry VIII’s palace at Oatlands, near Weybridge, at the Dissolution in 1537, and subsequent destruction means that very little now survives above ground.

PDF 631 Kb
Chapter 1: Introduction
ROB POULTON and GROUP CAPTAIN G KNOCKER (pp. 4-10)
PDF 3 Mb
Chapter 2: The 1954 Excavations
ROB POULTON and GROUP CAPTAIN G KNOCKER (pp. 11-72)
PDF 29 Mb
Chapter 3: The 1984-5 Excavations
ROB POULTON and GROUP CAPTAIN G KNOCKER (pp. 73-78)
PDF 2 Mb
Chapter 4: The 1983 Geophysical Survey
ROB POULTON and GROUP CAPTAIN G KNOCKER (pp. 79-80)
PDF 981 Kb
Chapter 5: Conclusions and Bibliography
ROB POULTON and GROUP CAPTAIN G KNOCKER (pp. 81-86)
PDF 1 Mb

Microfiche Files
Chapter 1: Introduction
ROB POULTON (pp 1-14)
PDF 2 Mb
Chapter 2: The 1954 Excavations
ROB POULTON (pp 15-58)
PDF 3 Mb
Chapter 3: The 1984-5 Excavations
ROB POULTON (pp 59-70)
PDF 522 Kb