n.a., (1927). Proceedings of the Society of Antiquaries of Scotland 62. Edinburgh: Society of Antiquaries of Scotland. https://doi.org/10.5284/1000184.

Title
Title
The title of the publication or report
Title:
Proceedings of the Society of Antiquaries of Scotland 62
Series
Series
The series the publication or report is included in
Series:
Proceedings of the Society of Antiquaries of Scotland
Volume
Volume
Volume number and part
Volume:
62
Pages
Pages
The number of pages in the publication or report
Number of Pages:
304
Downloads
Downloads
Any files associated with the publication or report that can be downloaded from the ADS
Downloads:
DOI
DOI
The DOI (digital object identifier) for the publication or report.
DOI
https://doi.org/10.5284/1000184
Publication Type
Publication Type
The type of publication - report, monograph, journal article or chapter from a book
Publication Type:
Journal
Publisher
Publisher
The publisher of the publication or report
Publisher:
Society of Antiquaries of Scotland
Year of Publication
Year of Publication
The year the book, article or report was published
Year of Publication:
1927
Source
Source
Where the record has come from or which dataset it was orginally included in.
Source:
ADS Archive
Related resources
Related resources
Other resources which are relevant to this publication or report
Relations:
Created Date
Created Date
The date the record of the pubication was first entered
Created Date:
11 Sep 2013
Article Title Sort Order Both Arrows Access Type Author / Editor Page
Start/End Sort Order Up Arrow
Abstract
1 - 22
J G Callander
22 - 26
A stone cist containing a Beaker vessel and cremated human bone was accidentally disturbed. Its location near the top of the cairn indicates that it was a secondary burial. AB
William Douglas
27 - 35
The armorial tombstone, located at St Triduana's Well is of interest because of its inscription and heraldic shield, which combines the arms of Robert Logan and Ker. Robert Logan's right to arms was forfeited in 1609 because of his involvement in the Gowrie Conspiracy which was a plot to kidnap King James VI. AB
W D Simpson
36 - 80
Further excavation and clearance of vegetation prompted a revised account of Kildrummy Castle which is thought to have been founded in the 13th century. A review of documentary evidence is followed by a detailed description of the surviving remains. Although the original 13th-century plan is preserved the buildings underwent very considerable reconstruction and repair. The gatehouse is of a type otherwise unknown in castles of this date in Scotland.
A D Lacaille
85 - 106
An account of the island of Inchtavannoch in Loch Lomond thought to be the site of a religious foundation linked with the pre-Columbian missionary St Kessog. Carved tombstones and crosses from Luss Kirkyard and the ruins of St Michael's Chapel, Glen Luss are described in detail. Two previously unrecorded cross-slabs from Dalgety, Fife and Kirkbride, Dunure and three hog-backed tombs from Logie and Tulliallan are reported.
R M Eckford
107 - 120
It is argued that the hillside terraces are artificial and are most likely to be related to cultivation. Many are thought to be prehistoric in origin although a few are believed to be much more recent and could have served an ornamental function.
James G Marwick
121 - 122
The objects comprise a smoothing glass from the Hillock of Howe, near Stromness, a stone ring from Stenness, a perforated stone from Sandwick and an old stone lamp from Flotta.
John Mathieson
123 - 132
During demolition of the original village on St Kilda a number of stone cists containing bones and pots were revealed. Other remains discussed include Christ Church and St Michael's Church, Tobar na Cille well, the watching house at Tigh na faire, beehive structures and a cave on Soay Island. Other islands in the group include Boreray and the Dun Island.
John M Corrie
138 - 152
A review of rapier-daggers and rapier-swords with particular reference to a group of twelve from Drumcoltran. All other examples are isolated finds. An incense-cup was found in a mound along with cremated human bone. A flanged chisel is of unknown provenance.
John W M Loney
152 - 154
It is not clear how widespread the unusual practice of writing from right to left occurred in 15th- and 16th-century Scotland, however Leonardo da Vinci is a famous example. The documents in which the signatures occur are described in detail.
William Kirkness
155 - 161
The structure was a sub-oval chamber with five stone pillars which supported a roof of broad stone slabs. It was covered by an earthen mound. Artefacts comprised worked stones including a saddle quern. Two long cists found below the mound which extended beyond the limits of the structure contained only fragments of human bone.
Alexander O Curle
162 - 163
The silver flask has an inscription on its neck formed in Roman capitals by small dots or punctuations. It is argued that the inscription translates as "Eisia made this for Frymiacus".
J G Callander
166 - 180
The collection consists of a flint axe; eight stone axes; a stone hammer; an anvil stone; a perforated stone; five stone whorls, one being of shale or jet; a bead, and a small fragment of an armlet of the latter material; a spear-head, forty arrow-heads, six borers, a saw, ten long narrow implements dressed steeply on the edges and flat on the under side, three being chipped on one edge only, forty-two triangular implements of peculiar form, ninety-four scrapers, nineteen triangular\r\nimplements, some of which may have been arrow-heads, five knives, and a considerable number of flakes and blades showing secondary working,all being of flint except a very few which are of chert. All the artefacts came from a fairly restricted location and are described in detail here.
A F Steuart
181 - 196
An account of a manuscript relating to James Steuart Esq., the Keeper of the King's Wardrobe in Scotland who died in 1750 at the old Abbey of Holyroodhouse. The entries are transcribed and provide in particular details about the furnishing of Holyrood House.
James S Richardson
197 - 224
A retable of late mediaeval date consisted of a number of tables or panels carved in relief, set in a framework of architectural character, and sometimes furnished with hinged shutters. This screen occupied a position immediately above the back of the altar. The scenes carved on the tables were in sets, the most usual being those depicting the "Passion," and the "Life of the Virgin"; other sets illustrated the Bible life of St John the Baptist, the Martyrdom of St Catharine, and episodes in the lives of saints and martyrs. Owing to the destruction of the actual retables and of documentary evidence it is unknown to what extent this type of altar sculpture was\r\nin use in Scotland. Many of the Scottish mediaeval churches have unbroken wall-spaces at the back of the altar sites, designed for the display of reredoses or retables. Fragments considered come from Rosslyn Chapel, Paisley Abbey, Mains Kirkyard, near Dundee, St Michael's, Linlithgow and St Salvator's College Kirk, St Andrew's.
James Edward Cree
229 - 231
A socketed and looped axe was found in the vicinity of a Bronze Age burial while the dagger was a poorly preserved surface find. The Food-vessel which contained cremated human remains was bought in a sale. An accompanying note claimed that it was one of four urns discovered in a burial mound during the 19th century.
Ian C Hannah
232 - 239
Ravensnook and Uttershill are little mansions locally known as castles. Both are very similar in form though Uttershill is of superior construction. Ravensnook is thought to have been built in 1527. It was demolished in 1741 and all that remains is a heap of stones. Uttershill is also thought to have been built in the 16th century though two storeys remain. In 1899 a stone with the date 1511 was found among the ruins.
Victor A Noel Paton
239 - 245
A report on three new sites where vitrified stones occur. The fort at An-Cnap has vitrified walls and ramparts into which a small trench was dug. A small spread of vitrified stones at Mid-Sannox may have been a beacon fire. A considerable quantity of vitrified stones on a high ridge at Pennymore Farm was associated with a number of shafts dug into the hillside may have been a bloomery.
R C Bosanquet
246 - 254
A bronze patera (or saucepan) from a private collection is thought to have been found in Whitehill. It has a characteristic spreading foot and the handle is decorated by five punched semi-circles and one circle. It is thought to be of provincial manufacture and of 2nd-century date.
Arthur J H Edwards
260 - 263
An urn found at Fence's Farm, Hunterstone contained cremated human bone, charcoal and a bead of shale or lignite. A second urn found at Seamill in 1830 contained cremated human bone. A stone cist found at Phantassie contained the very poorly preserved skeleton of a child.
Hugh Marwick
Thomas H Bryce
263 - 268
Two stone cists were found side by side. The larger of the two was of superior construction. Two long flags had been placed longitudinally on the lid stone to lean against each other like the roof of a house with a flat stone on the ridge formed by the two stones. This cist contained the remains of a crouched skeleton and a cremation burial. The smaller cist contained the remains of a disarticulated skeleton.
John Smith
268 - 280
A historical account of the ownership of the lands and mill of Gorgie dating back to 1236 when acquired by Sir William Livingstone. The earliest mention of the Manor House dates back to 1527. At the time of writing the house was still occupied and in fair condition.
281 - 304