Berkshire Archaeological Journal

Berkshire Archaeological Society, 2008

Data copyright © Berkshire Archaeological Society unless otherwise stated

This work is licensed under the ADS Terms of Use and Access.
Creative Commons License

Berkshire Archaeological Society logo

Primary contact

Berkshire Archaeological Society
19 Challenor Close
Reading, Berkshire
RG40 4UJ

Send e-mail enquiry

Resource identifiers

Digital Object Identifiers

Digital Object Identifiers (DOIs) are persistent identifiers which can be used to consistently and accurately reference digital objects and/or content. The DOIs provide a way for the ADS resources to be cited in a similar fashion to traditional scholarly materials. More information on DOIs at the ADS can be found on our help page.

Citing this DOI

The updated Crossref DOI Display guidelines recommend that DOIs should be displayed in the following format:
Sample Citation for this DOI

Berkshire Archaeological Society (2008) Berkshire Archaeological Journal [data-set]. York: Archaeology Data Service [distributor]

The Berkshire Archaeological and Architectural Society was founded in 1871 and, in 1878, started publishing annual reports and transactions. These publications came to an end in 1883. In 1889, the Society launched the Quarterly Journal of the Berkshire Archaeological and Architectural Society. It was bound with eight parts per volume. Three volumes were produced by 1895 when the last of these journals was published.

In 1895, a number of groups agreed to work together to produce the Berks, Bucks and Oxon Archaeological Journal. These groups were the Berkshire Archaeological Society, The Newbury District Field Club, The Oxford Architectural and Historical Society, The Oxford University Antiquarian Society, and The Ladies Brass-rubbing Society of Oxford.

From 1895 until 1918, this journal was produced with four parts per volumes, the parts being published in April, July, October and January over a 12 month period. From 1919, the journal was produced with two parts per volume. In 1930, the joint publication came to an end.

In 1931, starting with volume 35, the Berkshire Archaeological Society began publishing the Berkshire Archaeological Journal at the rate of two parts per volume; one in the spring and the other in the autumn. These arrangements changed in 1943 when volume 47 was produced as a single publication. Since then the journal has been produced as a succession of single issues produced initially every year and latterly every two or three years.

This collection will be released in a series of installments. As the Berkshire Archaeological Society finishes digitising the journals in their collection, the ADS will be making them available.


The Berkshire Archaeological Society journal series is available via the ADS Library:

ADS logo
Data Org logo
University of York logo