The Charles Archive: A project to digitally preserve and make publicly accessible the practice archive of F W B and Mary Charles Chartered Architects

Jonathan Brusby, Emily Hathaway, Tegan Cornah, Sheena Payne-Lunn, John France, 2020

Data copyright © Worcestershire County Council, Marcia Reed, Valeria Carullo unless otherwise stated

This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution 4.0 International License.
Creative Commons License


Historic England logo
Worcestershire City Council logo
Worcestershire County Council logo
Vernacular Architecture Group (VAG) logo

Primary contact

Worcestershire Archive and Archaeology Service
The Hive
Sawmill Walk
The Butts
Worcester
WR1 3PD
Tel: 01905 822866

Send e-mail enquiry

Resource identifiers

Digital Object Identifiers

Digital Object Identifiers (DOIs) are persistent identifiers which can be used to consistently and accurately reference digital objects and/or content. The DOIs provide a way for the ADS resources to be cited in a similar fashion to traditional scholarly materials. More information on DOIs at the ADS can be found on our help page.

Citing this DOI

The updated Crossref DOI Display guidelines recommend that DOIs should be displayed in the following format:

https://doi.org/10.5284/1076946
Sample Citation for this DOI

Jonathan Brusby, Emily Hathaway, Tegan Cornah, Sheena Payne-Lunn, John France (2020) The Charles Archive: A project to digitally preserve and make publicly accessible the practice archive of F W B and Mary Charles Chartered Architects [data-set]. York: Archaeology Data Service [distributor] https://doi.org/10.5284/1076946

Introduction

Photograph of F.W.B and Mary Charles
Photograph of chartered architects and timber-framed specialists F.W.B 'Freddie' and Mary Charles, taken by Malcolm Kirk and captioned 'With warm memories of my stay with you at Churchill Mill'. © Malcolm Kirk.

F.W.B. 'Freddie' Charles (1912-2002) was an architect and nationally recognised expert on the conservation and repair of timber-framed buildings. Freddie and his wife, architect Mary Charles (nee Logan) (1924-2005) set up in practice in 1962 and were amongst the first to face the challenges associated with timber-frame conservation. They were involved with the restoration of many important timber-framed buildings during their career including over 250 buildings in Worcestershire, many of them of national importance. The practice also worked in a number of other counties including Gloucestershire, Herefordshire, Nottinghamshire, Shropshire, Staffordshire, Warwickshire (including Coventry) and Birmingham.

Freddie died in 2002 and prior to his death the practice archive was deposited with the then Worcestershire Record Office and a number of other archive services geographically relevant to the locations where the practice had worked. Since 2017 Historic England and the Vernacular Architecture Group have funded a project to make the practice archive of F.W.B and Mary Charles more accessible. Project aims included electronically cataloguing the archive, which had previously only been catalogued on paper, and creating a digital archive of important material, to be made publicly available.


ADS logo
Data Org logo
University of York logo