Excavations at Albany Road, Exeter 1984 (Exeter archive site 79)

Exeter City Council, Cotswold Archaeology, 2015

Data copyright © Exeter City Council unless otherwise stated

This work is licensed under the ADS Terms of Use and Access.
Creative Commons License


Historic England logo

Primary contact

Andrew Pye
Principal Project Manager (Heritage)
Exeter City Council
Civic Centre
Paris Street
Exeter
EX1 1NN
England
Tel: 01392 265 224

Send e-mail enquiry

Resource identifiers

Digital Object Identifiers

Digital Object Identifiers (DOIs) are persistent identifiers which can be used to consistently and accurately reference digital objects and/or content. The DOIs provide a way for the ADS resources to be cited in a similar fashion to traditional scholarly materials. More information on DOIs at the ADS can be found on our help page.

Citing this DOI

The updated Crossref DOI Display guidelines recommend that DOIs should be displayed in the following format:

https://doi.org/10.5284/1035216
Sample Citation for this DOI

Exeter City Council, Cotswold Archaeology (2015) Excavations at Albany Road, Exeter 1984 (Exeter archive site 79) [data-set]. York: Archaeology Data Service [distributor] https://doi.org/10.5284/1035216

Exeter City Council logo
Cotswold Archaeology logo

Introduction

Excavations at Albany Road, Exeter 1984 (Exeter archive site 79)

The site, bounded by Cowick Street, Alphington Street, St Thomas' Station and the railway viaduct, was to have a large leisure centre and a new library built on it with work commencing in May 1984. Exeter Museums Archaeological Field Unit carried out a trial excavation on the site in 1978 in advance of the redevelopment scheme then current.

The main discovery was extensive evidence for bronze casting in the late 16th and early 17th century. This was found in two areas, one next to Cowick Street, the other about 50 metres away, well behind any street frontage.

The full significance and archaeological potential of the site only became apparent as a result of documentary and cartographic research undertaken following the discovery and excavation in 1982 of the 17th-century bell-foundry at Paul Street. The latter site was occupied between c1625 and 1720, although bell-casting may have taken place there only from about 1650.

The aim of the 1984 works was to systematically trench an area which had yielded casting waste in the earlier excavation to gauge its extent and obtain a rough estimate of the volume of the pits which would also give an indication of the total volume of production at the foundry over the 60 years or so of its existence.