Excavations at Cricklepit Street, Exeter 1987-89 (Exeter archive site 81)

Cotswold Archaeology, Exeter City Council, 2015

Data copyright © Exeter City Council unless otherwise stated

This work is licensed under the ADS Terms of Use and Access.
Creative Commons License


Historic England logo

Primary contact

Andrew Pye
Principal Project Manager (Heritage)
Exeter City Council
Civic Centre
Paris Street
Exeter
EX1 1NN
England
Tel: 01392 265 224

Send e-mail enquiry

Resource identifiers

Digital Object Identifiers

Digital Object Identifiers (DOIs) are persistent identifiers which can be used to consistently and accurately reference digital objects and/or content. The DOIs provide a way for the ADS resources to be cited in a similar fashion to traditional scholarly materials. More information on DOIs at the ADS can be found on our help page.

Citing this DOI

The updated Crossref DOI Display guidelines recommend that DOIs should be displayed in the following format:

https://doi.org/10.5284/1035218
Sample Citation for this DOI

Cotswold Archaeology, Exeter City Council (2015) Excavations at Cricklepit Street, Exeter 1987-89 (Exeter archive site 81) [data-set]. York: Archaeology Data Service [distributor] https://doi.org/10.5284/1035218

Exeter City Council logo
Cotswold Archaeology logo

Introduction

Excavations at Cricklepit Street, Exeter 1987-89 (Exeter archive site 81)

A small excavation took place in Cricklepit Street next to the site of the Watergate at the southern corner of the City Walls, behind Custom House. The project was undertaken in advance of the landscaping and re-surfacing of Cricklepit Street. The fabric of the City Wall at this point has been surveyed in detail and its structural history interpreted in the light of documentary evidence.

The earliest masonry visible near the Watergate probably belongs to a major rebuilding of a long section of the City Wall next to Cricklepit Street in the early 15th century.

The flank wall and causeway revetment outside the Watergate proper, built in 1565-6, have been exposed in the excavations and were displayed in the newly-landscaped area.