Higher Barracks, Exeter

Richard Parker, 2007

Data copyright © Exeter Archaeology unless otherwise stated


Exeter Archaeology logo

Primary contact

Dr John Allan
Exeter Archaeology
The Custom House
The Quay
Exeter
EX2 4AN
England

Send e-mail enquiry

Resource identifiers

Digital Object Identifiers

Digital Object Identifiers (DOIs) are persistent identifiers which can be used to consistently and accurately reference digital objects and/or content. The DOIs provide a way for the ADS resources to be cited in a similar fashion to traditional scholarly materials. More information on DOIs at the ADS can be found on our help page.

Citing this DOI

The updated Crossref DOI Display guidelines recommend that DOIs should be displayed in the following format:

https://doi.org/10.5284/1000281
Sample Citation for this DOI

Richard Parker (2007) Higher Barracks, Exeter [data-set]. York: Archaeology Data Service [distributor] https://doi.org/10.5284/1000281

Introduction

Postcard view of the entrance to Higher Barracks

Higher Barracks at Exeter were established in the late 18th century as part of a national scheme to improve military accommodation in response to the threat of an invasion during the French Revolutionary Wars. A site on the outskirts of the city was chosen and surrounded by a perimeter wall, within which an impressive group of buildings was constructed. These included a Regimental Headquarters building, barrack ranges and ancillary structures such as a hospital, canteen, workshops, barns, veterinary stables and a riding school. Following a further invasion scare in 1803 the barracks were enlarged and remained in use as a military installation throughout the 19th and 20th centuries. Unlike many comparable buildings Higher Barracks had survived almost complete until their disuse in 1997. This report describes this important group of buildings and presents the evidence for their function and development recovered during archaeological work prior to their recent redevelopment for housing.